I know all puppies are gross, but.....

OHSpartan

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Ohio
OK, I know that all puppies and kids are gross. But, I have a new 7-week-old puppy and the thing is absolutely fixated on eating chicken poop.
barnie.gif

If she comes across an area in the yard where they have been, she sniffs out the poop for immediate consumption. She even digs it out of the treads of my kids' barn boots. I know chickens carry a lot of diseases, but don't know if any would transfer to puppies via fecal-oral exposure.

Is this a case where I should look the other way, or find a way to stop it at all costs? If it should be stopped, any tips? With 30+ free ranging flock, there are lots of opportunities for her...

My 5 have been chicken turd eaters for years..I wouldn't worry about it too much. They will eat their own too which is far grosser!

I recently got gifted with an old coop. (
ya.gif
) It had been 'empty' for years (no chickens). However the folks who had it do have peacocks. There was a bank of nest boxes high on the back wall and a pile of old, dried poo about 8" high stuck to the top of it.
sickbyc.gif

I knocked it down while doing the 'clean up and start from scratch'. It was just tossed out the door along with all the old perches. When I came out about 30mins later..... the top was dusty.. but no poo-pile. The dogs were sitting there grinning at me.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

I recently got gifted with an old coop. (
ya.gif
) It had been 'empty' for years (no chickens). However the folks who had it do have peacocks. There was a bank of nest boxes high on the back wall and a pile of old, dried poo about 8" high stuck to the top of it.
sickbyc.gif

I knocked it down while doing the 'clean up and start from scratch'. It was just tossed out the door along with all the old perches. When I came out about 30mins later..... the top was dusty.. but no poo-pile. The dogs were sitting there grinning at me.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Uh, eww.....
sickbyc.gif
Oh and congrats on the new coop!!!

Don't let her eat it. Chickens carry worms, and bacteria. In addition, that poop will rot her teeth, and I'm not kidding. My dog used to do it regularly and I thought eh, I won't let him lick me.

Several years and dozens of whip, round, pin, and bear whip (yes bear whip worms chickens eat berries out of bear poop voila!) In addition, 4 dentistries at 300+ a pop, and three pulled rotted teeth later I no longer let him eat chicken poop. My vet says it's directly related to the acidity in bird turds.

Back
Top Bottom