I know chickens are creatures of habit, but…

you’ll miss them way more than they’ll miss you.

if the run is predator proof and attached to the coop, then why even bother closing the pop door?

let them go to roost at night and leave the coop in the morning when they naturally want to.
This is what I do. I have a very large "run" built around my coop and it is very secure.

I always “tuck” my chickens in at nightfall, which is right around 6pm now. However, I have to attend an important meeting tomorrow and won’t get back until around 7:15. Their run is predator proof and it is attached to the coop where they can go in and out at will. There will be a light on in the coop until I get back to close up their pop door and turn out the light. My first time not closing them in at dark to settle in for the night. I guess I just need reassurance that this will work out…funny how I treat them like my kids…lol. What do y’all think?
I installed an automatic door to our community garden chicken coop. It's a game changer. We don't have to worry about members not locking the girls up at night anymore

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_064946_163.jpg
    IMG_20221118_064946_163.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 1
I always “tuck” my chickens in at nightfall, which is right around 6pm now. However, I have to attend an important meeting tomorrow and won’t get back until around 7:15. Their run is predator proof and it is attached to the coop where they can go in and out at will. There will be a light on in the coop until I get back to close up their pop door and turn out the light. My first time not closing them in at dark to settle in for the night. I guess I just need reassurance that this will work out…funny how I treat them like my kids…lol. What do y’all think?
You could get an outdoor timer reasonably. All my chickens over the years have gone back to the coop by dusk. They'll find their way back fine.

Back
Top Bottom