I know chickens are creatures of habit, but…

I always “tuck” my chickens in at nightfall, which is right around 6pm now. However, I have to attend an important meeting tomorrow and won’t get back until around 7:15. Their run is predator proof and it is attached to the coop where they can go in and out at will. There will be a light on in the coop until I get back to close up their pop door and turn out the light. My first time not closing them in at dark to settle in for the night. I guess I just need reassurance that this will work out…funny how I treat them like my kids…lol. What do y’all think?
I always check on our "kids" before going to bed. A few nights ago, I went to bed really early, even before the kids went to bed. I woke up around 2 am, and went out to check them. No reason to go out, but I couldn't get back to sleep until I checked. In reality, their run & coop is safe, but I want to be assured all is well. These chickens were supposed to be hubby's hobby. I didn't want them but now, I go out daily to set, talk, treat and play chicken "mom".:idunno:love

Chickens go to roost when they're ready. You can't make them go early unless you chase them. They roost and start snoozing--with or without you. I try to close the little chicken door at the same time, (dark), but life gets in the way often and they are just fine. They are their own social group.

I’m so relieved to read this thread! It’s been something giving me so much anxiety. My brood hatched in August and I’ve been dealing with an unlucky streak of car repairs. I live in a van and my property is 14 mikes from where I work, so I’ve kept them with me. I can’t get home to let them in/out/feed/water/etc. when I’m broken down.

I have 4 now, but they need more room and my goal is self-sustainability.

I’d love to hear how people handle unpredictable schedule changes with chickens. Can admin set up a poll dealing with this topic?

you’ll miss them way more than they’ll miss you.

if the run is predator proof and attached to the coop, then why even bother closing the pop door?

let them go to roost at night and leave the coop in the morning when they naturally want to.
that is what we do ... Hubby built a barn this summer/fall - so all coops have a covered run. If we know that we will be gone during the day - we do not let them "free range" but they do go in and out of Coop at will

I think you have the same coop/run that I have. It's perfect for this kind of thing. My coop is right out side of a glass door next to my desk, so I can keep an eye on them when they are in or near the coop. I give mine a treat tossed in an exercise pen that is attached to the coop. This is an additional XPen made for dogs that I attached to the original coop/run. I toss them treats in the outer pen, and then close the pen's door to keep them from free-ranging. They will go inside the coop's run and head up the ramp sometime around dusk, and I close the pop door for the night. When it's really hot, I keep that pop door open for ventilation and just keep the metal attached run door closed and latched. I agree that it's very secure to keep the pop door open when it's hot outside overnight.

Once when I was at a meeting and would be home after dark, I left them in the outer pen, and when I got home, they were all inside the coop on their roost. I was so proud of them, lol! I just closed their pop door and the coop/run door, then the XPen door and they were buttoned up for the night.

I'd bet your hens did the same.

My girls free-range all day and we've have never had a problem with a predator yet, so I took a chance that one wouldn't come into the outer pen with it's door secured, and it worked out fine. I just posted a description of my coop and XPen with photos, if you are interested, this is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-small-coop-from-tractor-supply.78218/ You can see the "before," and how it looks with that outer run which gives the hens more room when they are confined in the "after."
I had this coop to start with. We had a shed that we weren’t really using so my husband cleaned it out and adapted it to be a chicken coop. He then cut a door in the side (complete with a pop door) and had that open To an 8x14’ enclosed run. The 6 girls are in the run most of the day, but can go in and out of the coop to lay. I don’t let them free range due to many predators in the area. I go in and out through the shed door, though we are thinking of putting a door on the run for me…lol. I will try to post pics later today.

Hi mldlm. I have an automatic coop door, it works great and hasn't failed me yet. In 6 six years the only maintenance I have performed is oiling the hinge twice a year as required, and replacing the battery once. It's really nice not to have to trudge out to my coop in the dark, as it's not close to my house.
I recommend this brand only, I have no knowledge of others.
https://chickendoors.com/

I’m so relieved to read this thread! It’s been something giving me so much anxiety. My brood hatched in August and I’ve been dealing with an unlucky streak of car repairs. I live in a van and my property is 14 mikes from where I work, so I’ve kept them with me. I can’t get home to let them in/out/feed/water/etc. when I’m broken down.

I have 4 now, but they need more room and my goal is self-sustainability.

I’d love to hear how people handle unpredictable schedule changes with chickens. Can admin set up a poll dealing with this topic?
Having a a predator proof coop and run with automatic feeders and waterers helps but that may not be an option for you if you're gone a lot . I built one years ago and never have to open or close the coop door at night. Bears flipped my neighbors coop and killed all his chickens while he was away.I'm sorry you're having to live in a van.

I always “tuck” my chickens in at nightfall, which is right around 6pm now. However, I have to attend an important meeting tomorrow and won’t get back until around 7:15. Their run is predator proof and it is attached to the coop where they can go in and out at will. There will be a light on in the coop until I get back to close up their pop door and turn out the light. My first time not closing them in at dark to settle in for the night. I guess I just need reassurance that this will work out…funny how I treat them like my kids…lol. What do y’all think?
I lock mine in every night as well, however, one night about two weeks ago I didn't get back until after dark and a possum got in and got one of my hens. I am looking for an automatic door for their coop- any suggestions on which one to purchase??

I lock mine in every night as well, however, one night about two weeks ago I didn't get back until after dark and a possum got in and got one of my hens. I am looking for an automatic door for their coop- any suggestions on which one to purchase??
Don't know if you want timer, light sensor, both... and which type of door do you need? Guillotine, side slider, opening outward? I use ChickenGuard (guillotine) on timer. Other brands to look into would be Omlet (side slide), Ador (guillotine), Pullet-Shut (opens out).

Back
Top Bottom