I know I already asked about this behavior....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    And you all told me it was just goofy chicken not broody hen. But, now I am worried.

My EE hen is just acting strange. She stays away from the flock and seems sluggish and slow. She keeps laying down like she's just too tired to stand. I thought she was getting broody but she doesn't stay where she is and she does follow the flock. Her face had been quite red and now, to me it seems paler than it had been.

Her feathers look fine, her eyes look fine, she doesn't have any drips or mites. She doesn't seem bound up. She's never laid yet so I don't think she's egg bound.

What could be wrong with her? Is she sick or just weird?

2. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could help you.....anyone have any ideas?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh I don't have any ideas - Maybe post this under the emergency thread and someone may be able to help. It doesn't sound normal at all. Wait! Is she egg bound??

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I felt around her vent for an egg and didn't feel anything.... She even let me do it without any struggle or protest.

5. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I would be worried about her too, poor baby. I have heard about them being internal layers, and not developing right inside, being a problem. I'm not much help here. Sorry.
    What I would do, if I had no idea, for right now though, would be put her somewhere cozy, and supplement her with liquid vitamins. I would give her oatmeal and yogurt along with her regular food, to make sure she is getting enough and to perk her up, possibly. I hope you find help if it is an egg laying issue, but at least make her comfortable? She sounds pitiful, poor dear.
    Take care, I hope she is okay.
    Tina/tfpets

6. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Mine did this a little a few days before they started laying. They also started 'talking' to eachother. Hope this is what is going on with yours, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by