I know I should have this figured out by now

catsew

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
but how do you attach the fencing (run) to the coop? Especially if you part of the coop outside of the fenced in run.

I have a clean out door on the bottom of the back that I would like to leave outside the fence so I can just put a wheel barrow under it and scrape it out. I can see how to do the fencing under the coop around the legs of the raised part, but can't figure out how it attaches to the coop itself.

We used a facing board. Nail the fence to the coop, then nail a board over the wire so no edges show. It is neat and tidy, and helps keep critter claws from prying it up.

Ya, I cut what look like Tomato stakes from 2x4 stock, about a 1/4 inch thick, and nail or screw them over the fence wire ends. It keeps me, pets, and chickens from getting stuck with barbs hanging out. It takes less fasteners to the building to make the fence secure, as the bitter end of the fence is not available to prying or pulling loose.

I use this method a lot, as I use up a lot of free, and cast off wire materials to build my tractors and enclosures ( hutches) with recycle materials. Fencing is relatively expensive when you need a lot of it. So I use the small pieces in the small projects, as much as possible.

DH used these giant staples that are about 1/4" thick and nearly impossible to remove with a hammer claw, much less with animal claws. He calls them steeples but the box says staples.

Back
Top Bottom