I know it's supposed to be 25 hours, but....

gailburt

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2015
I have one Black Australorp, Myrtle, and the rest are bantams. Myrtle has been a great layer for close to a year, she's just about a year and a half old. She is the only one of my flock who lays large brown eggs, everyone else lays cute little bantam eggs.

She has done this twice in the past two weeks: laid an egg yesterday around 2pm. But last night during the night (or someone before 7am), she dropped one from the roost. I know it's her because she's the only chicken sized chicken I have. The eggs are fully formed, but splat!

They are locked in the henhouse overnight because I have two Muscovy ducks that get crazy on the chickens every so often, so i keep them separated at night with the ducks in the coop below. There are two nest boxes in the henhouse, which is normally left open all day and this is where they all lay.

How is Myrtle laying a second egg only 12-ish hours after the first? Has this ever happened to any of you?

Sometimes they release more than one yolk in a 24 hour period. Some become double yolk eggs, others become 2 singles, it's more common in spring.

Wow, that must be what's happening. They haven't eaten them (yet), but I worry that they will before I can get there to let them out. I wish she'd learn Turi just sleep in the nest box!

Wow, that must be what's happening. They haven't eaten them (yet), but I worry that they will before I can get there to let them out. I wish she'd learn Turi just sleep in the nest box!
Nah.....you don't want her sleeping in the nests.......still will result in poopy eggs.

So she's about 18 months old?
Could be her system is shutting down getting ready to molt.
Can get funky eggs then...and while starting back up after molting.

Back
Top Bottom