I know its the millionth time its been asked, but I can't find answers. Is my hen broody.

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Ok, my hen is a light olive egger mutt. She's a medium sized 10 mo. old. She is incredibly dominant and runs the flock. Our roo is 2nd to her. So today I keep going out the get her egg (only 2 are laying and the other just started) but she was sitting on her nest. She sometimes does that after laying, but then lately she's been sitting on it longer. So I was worried she was getting exhausted from laying. Well, after about 6 hours on the nest she finally came out to eat some left over corn on the cob. I went inside for a bit then went out to get her egg and she was back on the nest. Unfortunately she has a habit of laying under the deck. I have to use a dog toy that is supposed to throw balls. I've never seen her get back on the nest although when she was first laying she did lay 2 eggs in one day a few times. So maybe thats it? She also deviated from her usual egg song when she got off her nest. It was quieter and cluckier. (I made a new word!) Also...all day the chickens were really quiet. They free range and they just sat up on the hill and never once came down to beg for food which is HIGHLY unusual. But here's the thing, I read that chickens will not go broody till they have a whole clutch. She has the one egg she hatched today. So could she? I am saving up eggs and incubating tonight.

Do her feather puff up when you go to her when she is laying on her eggs???? And is she losing feathers around her neck???

Nope and nope. I actually can't get near her because she's under the deck. I can only poke my egg catcher thingie at her.

When you poke the egg catcher thingie at the she would fluff up if she was broody. Head low tail high feathers fluffed making a different noise for you. You will know it when it happens.

Then she's definitely not broody! Part of me wanted her to be broody, part of me wanted her to keep laying those delicious eggs!

Back
Top Bottom