I know she is a she, but she behaves like a he!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cleo04, Aug 18, 2011.

1. cleo04

cleo04 New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi! Just wondered if anyone could help! My 2 year old Friesian, who is definitely a hen, called Madam (cos she's so stroppy!) has been making a lot of noise today! I just wondered if anyone else with Friesians has experienced them making a strange loud warbling noise? One of my other Friesian hens does it sometimes too. She sounds like a young male cockerel when he first starts to crow! It's painful to listen to haha! I wondered if it was because yesterday we re-homed the 3 cockerels and some other hens from the group she lived with and now she thinks she's boss? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Don't know your breed well, but absolutely, the "top hens" often take on the role, complete with hokey attempts are crowing, in the absence of the rooster.
    Sometimes they get over it and life goes on.

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    My lil Sebright hen Lil bit tried to be the roo when I didn’t have one, she would lay eggs just like the rest of my girls but then go out and try to crow (sounded horrible) and do the silly lil roo dance that they do to impress the ladies. It worried me at first, b/c when I finally bought them a roo (Lil big man the Japanese Bantam roo I have now) she tried to fight him for top roo position! But luckily he won and swiftly sent her back to her full hen ways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by