I know someone has done this before, what was the outcome?

chickkrzi

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2011
Waco texas
OK I have some RIR AND RSL ( From id eal) hens as was roosters for each ( RSL roo was sent accidentally). I'm sure you know where this is going, but has anyone put a RSL over a RIR hen? I completely understand that I wouldn't get see links but seeing my RSL are RIR x RIW would my hens look more " RHODE ISLAND LIKE". Also did your egg production increase? Thanks in advance.

It would depend entirely on what breeds were used to make the RSL. There are a lot of possibilities. The best I can say is that you would get some nice chicks, and they would probably be excellent layers. I don't know if they would pass the RSL in productivity, but they would have that "hybrid vigor". If your flock still consists of the birds you mention in your profile, the good news is that your RIR rooster will produce black sex links with your BR hens. So, if you wanted to produce future generations of sex links, and if you like the BR and RIR, you could hatch some pure BR, some pure RIR, and keep a RIR and BR roo for future generations. RIR x RIR RIR x BR BR x BR
= = =
RIR BSL BR

I understand RIR X BR= black sexlink I also have a white Rock I could breed and get more red sexlinks. I was just wondering what the adult feathering would be. My RIR have that deep Red mahogany look, would they lighten up some and be more like a New Hampshire? would they drop in egg production. Would it be somewhere between RIR and RSL? Just something that has my curiosity going.

I understand RIR X BR= black sexlink I also have a white Rock I could breed and get more red sexlinks. I was just wondering what the adult feathering would be. My RIR have that deep Red mahogany look, would they lighten up some and be more like a New Hampshire? would they drop in egg production. Would it be somewhere between RIR and RSL? Just something that has my curiosity going.

Unless you know that your particular White Rock hens carry the silver gene necessary for producing RSLs, White Rocks are not reliable for RSLs as not all of them carry the silver gene. Better choices for RSLs would be either RIW, SLW, Delaware, or Light Sussex hens as they all carry the silver gene necessary for producing RSLs.

I do think your RIR's will lighten up, you'll get generic looking red and white birds of both sexes. Egg production will be in the middle. Your birds won't look more like a RIR, really, as red sex links don't look anything like a RIR in body shape. The supposed RIW used to make the red sex links at the hatchery aren't SOP birds, I have the idea they're pretty much generic looking white hatchery birds.

I do think your RIR's will lighten up, you'll get generic looking red and white birds of both sexes. Egg production will be in the middle. Your birds won't look more like a RIR, really, as red sex links don't look anything like a RIR in body shape. The supposed RIW used to make the red sex links at the hatchery aren't SOP birds, I have the idea they're pretty much generic looking white hatchery birds. 

That's what I was wondering. Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom