I know this is not about a guinea but my DH's pet chicken

livenwpeeps

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
King William
has been killed by my two dogs. DH doesn't care for the guineas but he has two chickens that are his pets. He just called and said when he got home, Crock Pot (the rooster) was screaming his head off and wouldn't eat his snack of horse feed. Skillet (the hen) was no where in site. He said he knew then that something had happen. He then started looking and found the body in the dog pen. Some how she had gotten into the dog pen. I don't know a thing about chickens but this rooster is screaming and running around trying to find his little Skillet. We got them this year at Tractor Supply to be friends with our first lone keet that needed friends. I couldn't even tell you what kind they are. So my questions is this: Are chickens like guineas and need friends? Should I find him a hen or two? Crock Pot has nothing to do with the guineas so I don't think he would mix with them but he may. Here is a picture I took of the two just yesterday while I was taking picutres of the hurricane damage.
94963_img_0341.jpg

Skillet is the little red one. Crock Pot loves to have his picture taken. I think he was a model in another life. So do you think I should give him some time and see if he will mix in with the guineas? Or find him a couple of hens? Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks guys!
PS: DH did the naming of these two. He had planned on naming their chicks: Crispy, Tuperware, Paula Dean, etc...... I had six of her eggs in the incubator that we lost electric due to the hurricane too. So sad...........

So sorry for your loss. Young roosters are hormone driven just like guinea males. I would get him some young hens that are just starting to lay or about to lay. Good luck.

Awww, sorry for your loss... survived Irene but not the dogs, BAD DOG, BAD DOG!!!
Very pretty/flashy rooster... I vote for getting him some new Girlies!

Ok at first DH said no more chickens. Then this morning he said he wanted a couple of hens so we are going hen shopping. DH also informed me that Crock Pot likes "red heads" so we are on the hunt for some read headed hens.

Back
Top Bottom