I KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH OUR CHICKS!!!!!

Just wondering? I live in Iowa about 45 min. away from MMH. Our temps here have not been above 0 overnight for geez....don't know how long! Yesterday and today were the first days in forever that when I left for work, temps were above 0, been mostly in the -20 region. Since I'm new to chickens, I'm just thinking that maybe the terrible weather here this year has had an effect?

Getting together would be a really good idea. One person needs to be in charge and collect names , numbers and breeds. If you go as one you will be stronger.

(Now holding off on my bid order Friday.)
hmm.png

Quote:
Well that's a lie! I called today and they told me the same exact thing! So does this mean all of our birds are going to die, I've lost 26 already
ep.gif
What can we do? Will this effect their next hatch too? I talked to a lady named ruth at MMH and she said to give them terramyacin in their water. 2 teaspoons per gallon. And she extended my warranty to Friday..I just can't believe it. What do we do now, just watch them slowly die?

Quote:
I think they meant Stormhorse

yes..sadly a family member made that mistake. but after we switched them to pine, everyone was thriving (except the ones we lost during that time). and then we get hit with this? but anyway, yes and i am still upset over that mistake. it wasnt really anyones fault, though. This isn't cedar troubles. some birds have become ill this morning! and its been a while since the cedar incident.

Quote:
If some one were keeping their birds on cedar, it would cause the same respiratory symptoms as brooder pneumonia.

I'm sorry the chicks died.
sad.png

So sorry and so sad for all these wonderful chicklets that won't get a chance to enjoy life and that will instead suffer an early death. If the hatchery is telling untruths that each of you that calls is the only call they've received with this problem, and enough of a pattern develops here (if they say this a lot), then this would be good to know...It's good that you are compiling a list of those experiencing similar problems - if only a few cases with the same symptoms can be ID'd, then it may not be enough of a pattern and the problems could have developed independent of the hatchery.....but if this is happening a lot, it's so important to bring it to light. So glad you guys are doing this. JJ

Last edited:
I call MM today a 3:10 and the lady I spoke with said they had no brooder pneumonia, so no need to cancel my order. I left my name and number, told her to call me back if she hears of any problems.

I'm driving to pick up my order this saturday.

Now what?

I am getting more on Saturday too. If this was an outbreak, there would be thousands of chicks affected, not just a few hundred. I am very sad to be losing mine, but MM has been awesome about it after I spoke with the right people. I am not too worried about the new ones. I am going to put them in a separate brooder in the house.

Time will tell I guess, but MM has a responsibility to all its customers to notify them of a big problem like this, and I know they would. It would be a very poor business decision not to and they have been in business long enough to know what good business practices are.

Back
Top Bottom