I know you've been asked before......incubator purchase...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by calgal98, May 7, 2009.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now I'm trying to decide between a Brinsea (or two) and a sportsman. I really just want to point and shoot with the incubator and am looking for something pretty much idiot proof. I just have too much going on to pay constant attention to another additction. So, what do I want?
    1.Ease of use
    2.Cost is not so different factoring in a second Brinsea 20 if I decide to increase production, but the sportsman offers larger hatches.
    3.I don't want to keep upgrading
    4. Reliability
    5. Resale if I decide this really isn't for me and just go back to a medium sized flock and hen-brooding.
    6. Its my birthday coming up and I can ask for most anything as he is way overindulgent.

Thanks so much! Feel free to ask more questions as that makes me *think* which I'm not so good at as a certified blondey!~

2. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    You know you are going to get 100 replys on this and get 100 different answers right! So that been said i will put my two penny's in i like the sportsman with all of the auto attachments like water,turner and all that plus i like hatching alot and this allows it for me i have the 3 tray sportsman 1202 which is a older model has most of the bells and whistles. Just dont forget if you go with the sportsman make sure to get your egg holders with your purchase because it makes it alot easier

3. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    You might take a look at the Dickey line too. Better to go for the bigger machine to start with, this hobby has a way of growing. The bigger machines will also hold resale value well. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim

4. calgal98

Thats the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks so much! Please keep posting folks! The Dickey is a fair bit less pricey. Does it work as well? I don't hear as much (read as much) on it as on the Sportsman. Being a new hatchling I look at the most commonly referred to item as gold. The Dickey looks great. Why do you think its a better, or why do you prefer it? Vicki

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Yeah i kinda forgot to tell ya it is very addictive so make sure you know that before you start because most of us started out just trying to hatch one or two eggs

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Gqf or Dickey. The best by far.

7. calgal98

Quote:I am an OCD personality. I know addition!! LOL Too many horses, too many goats, too much fabric.......ad infinitum. I think you guys understand![​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. calgal98

So if between a Dickey and a sportsman which one and why? I don't want to make the wrong choice here.

How easy to maintain and service.
    Parts readily available?

Anything else I should be looking at/for in the two?

9. calgal98

Quote:Thanks Jim. I hadn't heard of it and did look at it. It is what I've decided to give to myself for my birthday! I knew I could get the help I needed on here!

Vicki:woot

10. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Thanks for the input. I was looking at the r-com for my husband but the Dickey is much better for the money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by