I left all nine of them...........

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
We took nine of the "kids" down last night for the Fair Show today...... They were a little angry after being shoved in cages. The ride down was pretty quiet, I think they were scared. Their little cages all had the tags on them. I put each of my kids in a seperate cage, dolled up their wattles and combs and just left them there. I feel like I abandones my kids
barnie.gif

I couldn't take off this morning to be there for the judging, so will go down after work and see how they did.
The Club that is sponsoring the show has people there the whole time taking care of them and watching them.
My Little White Bantam Cockerel, Uno, was nuzzling up to my neck as I carried him from his carry cage to his fair cage, when I went back to clean his wattles and comb, he sat on my hand (something he used to do as a chick) I almost cried, it was like he was saying "Mom, don't leave me here"
I made sure everyone was eating and drinking before I left, the club is so good, they asked if I wanted them to have plain water of electrolytes and vitamins in their water.

Where is this show? We talked about going, but I couldn't find it on the internet. Will they have another anytime soon. Mike just can't wait to see me bring home more chickens. You saw how eager he was to build another coop!

Looked like you guys were building A Chicken Fort Knox
lau.gif

It is at the Coweta Co Fair in Newnan.

There are actually going to be One Day Shows from now until February just about every weekend. I will get more info today, my friend Beth was busy last night getting chickens checked in.

Google Chatahoochee Valley Poultry Association, it may some information.

I want to take Gogane, my Phoenix Rooster, but I wouldn't take him to the fair and leave him, no way was I leaving my baby......
ep.gif

Cool! I want to see the birds of prey exhibit. I hate to see them around the house, but at a fair I think I'd enjoy them. Animal Magic sounds pretty trippy too. Maybe we can make it out on Sat. How long are you leaving your babies there?

We Fort Knox it all. It takes me about half an hour every night to put up the birds-- lots of locks.

I guess I can't say anything as ours is made of 2 x 6 around the bottom and cement....
lau.gif

The first week they were out in the barn before the coop was built I got up 2 times a night and went and checked on them.

Lockedhearts, I took 3 of my babies to the TN Valley fair a few weeks ago and had a bout of seperation anxiety as well. It was very hard to walk away. Especially when my favorite roo tried to climb out of the cage back into my arms!

Our show lasted 2 whole weeks
ep.gif

But they did take good care of my babies, I met some new people, and my boys won prizes.

So we're going to do a 'real' poultry show in November!

Even with all thge security features, I get up in the night to check on them. I really am paranoid.
hmm.png
Yesterday I found a place at the bottom of their run where something had dug a hole. I really looks like a toad hole, but just to be on the safe side, we finished the hardware cloth skirt we'd been putting off. I even put a padlock on the run gate to fend off thieves and teenagers. I have a serious problem.
roll.png

Uno and Larry were the hardest to leave, especially Uno, he was my very first hatch ever and he was the only one and is a rotten little brat
lau.gif

I really didn't want any bantams, which is why I sold his parents, but now I am so attached I am trying to find some more to be his buddies.
Larry, my houdan , is very unique looking and is more of a novelty at the fair cause there are very few poof heads there.....
gig.gif

I hope Larry does well, as his girlfriends (eggs) are in the mail and will be in the bator later this week. Hubby also decided to keep Curly (Larry's Bro) for breeding. Curly actually has the better poof now, but Larry plucked all of Curly's tail except one feather, so Larry got to go to the fair.

Quote:
I'd have sent both Larry & Curly just to see what happened. They're both cockerals, right?
It's good that your hubby is happy about you breeding birds. Mine would rather I got rid of all the roos and more of the hens!

I'll keep Tennessee, my snuggle buddy cockeral. He's a Mille Fleur d'Uccle and I just love that breed. I have 2 pullets that I didn't show.
Sonny, my other millie, will need to find a new home. He's pretty, but I only need 1 roo, and he doesn't love me the way TN does. TN got 2nd place and Sonny got 3rd in their category.

The self-blue Silkie cockeral (who won 1st in his categary) happens to belong to my daughter. She doesn't play with him, and I have no other silkies. And I don't really like his personality. But he is soooooo pretty! So we'll show him again and I'll decide on whether or not to get a silkie hen or give Boo to a new home. Decisions decisions.

Back
Top Bottom