I let 2 broody hens hatch chicks... now what?

Montem28

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
So, one of my hens finally went broody--what we've all been waiting for! It took me a little while to find fertilized eggs. Once I got them, another hen went broody. Long story short, I put fertilized eggs under 1st hen, and the 2nd hen had eggs laid from my other chickens but I had a feeling they weren't fertilized because my rooster doesn't do a good job about getting around.... anyway, all of broody #2s eggs were duds. So I slipped some eggs from my first broody hen under my second broody hen. Not sure if it was a good idea to let the 2 hens be mothers at the same time.... anyway, now they both have and are in their own separated pens, which is in the coop. They are starting to outgrow the pens, so I'm unsure what to do. Do I just let the mamas and chicks be with the other chickens? (Also what is a good age to do this?) Will the mamas fight with eachother? Fight over the chickies? Can they really tell who is their baby? I'm unsure what to do, so if you have experience, please help! This is my first time having a hen hatch eggs... sometimes It looks like they're trying to get to the other side, which makes me think that they want all the chicks to themselves?🤷‍♀️
Also, how do I go about chick feed when I let them all out to be with the other adult chickens? How long do they get chick feed and how am I supposed to give it to them with the other adults around? Would love to hear your experiences and what works for you, or share mistakes! Thanks in advance!!🐓🐣🐤

P.s. most of the chicks hatched on July 1st, I think just 1 hatched a day or 2 late. 12 chicks total! (Picture is from July 1st)😊

I've had hens raise their own chicks in the coop. When eggs hatch I put mom and chicks into a cage inside coop for a few days. Mom teaches chicks to stay with her. I then open the cage door so mom can bring chicks out when she is ready. Mom keeps chicks away from the main flock for awhile. At night I just close the cage door for the first week or so. I've had mom bring her chicks right into the flock by day 3 and others wait a bit longer. Yes..some pecking and chasing occur but never blood.

Attachments

• 20230618_124544.jpg
    20230618_124544.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230714_164234.jpg
    20230714_164234.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230709_072319.jpg
    20230709_072319.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 21
All of my birds are free range. I had 2 hens go broody at the same time. Only 1 had fertile eggs, but the chicks split up between the 2 of them after hatching. I haven't done a single thing, other than make sure they could get back into the coop, via a chick size ladder. The chicks go all over my property with the hens. Still have every single one of them at 4 weeks old. I give my chickens only water for the majority of the year. They forage a ton of bugs and plants, as well as clean up the grain my 45 pigs leave on the ground after eating. Point is, I don't do much of anything to care for my chickens, other than a nice coop and clean water. They're basically wild and have done a great job raising their chicks, and actually seem happier to co-parent with each other.

All of my birds are free range. I had 2 hens go broody at the same time. Only 1 had fertile eggs, but the chicks split up between the 2 of them after hatching. I haven't done a single thing, other than make sure they could get back into the coop, via a chick size ladder. The chicks go all over my property with the hens. Still have every single one of them at 4 weeks old. I give my chickens only water for the majority of the year. They forage a ton of bugs and plants, as well as clean up the grain my 45 pigs leave on the ground after eating. Point is, I don't do much of anything to care for my chickens, other than a nice coop and clean water. They're basically wild and have done a great job raising their chicks, and actually seem happier to co-parent with each other.
My hen raised chicks do follow the flock as they free range. The chicks I bought and raised in the coop with the flock have interacted with the flock but most of the time they stay with each other like a seperate flock. All eat and sleep together but the bought chicks have not followed the main flock across the pasture yet.

Lucky u!!! No predators!
I let my chickens free range and lose them to hawks☹️

I haven't lost a hen, as they're all large breeds, but all my chicks so far have gone to increasing the predator population. I keep hoping.

Back
Top Bottom