I let my Guineas & Chickens Free range for the first time

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I let My Guineas and my Chickens out to free range for the first time yesterday and today. It went pretty well they all seemed happy and everyone returned to the coop, One guinea seemed like see couldn't figure out how to get back in she was calling to the other.

They loved taking a dust bath all of them together, The Guineas sure can get high up in the trees and they are very noisey, My Male Rottweiler did chase one chicken today ( My female has been fine with them ). The Hen ran and I was able to call my Male off, I found the hen with her head in a hole and her butt in the air trying to hide.

My RIR seem to go back in first, then teh Rooster will starting calling everyone back ( that is what it seems like anyway ).

SO far today he has been good with them, I am worried because if he got a hold of one he would hurt it even if he didnt't mean to, He is about 100 LBS and my female is about 115 LBS.

I had a female rottweiler that liked to "help" herd them back to the pen. She never hurt them.

When I got my guineas they seemed like they were not the brightest of the bunch. They had a hard time figuring out how to get out of the coop and then they couldn't figure out how to get back in. If they flew over the fence that made things even worse. I would have to scare them so they could fly back over the fence and then find their way back in the coop. Now, about six months later, they seem to have it down finally.

Love the coop!
big_smile.png

NEVER EVERY leave you dog with the chickens free ranging. I have just had the most upsetting time with my dog.

She has been around my chickens since she was a puppy and no problems at all. They all used to sit and rest together. I used to go to work and leave my chickens and poodle mix dog together in the garden. The dog used to protect the flock form cats and other predators.

They have been together over 2 years. Then a few day ago my dog suddenly killed on of my hens. I have no idea what happened. I was at home then and went out as I heard my chickens making lots of nose. My dog was chasing them all around the garden and had killed one.

Now my dog has discovered how much fun it is to chase and kill the chickens she is now always trying to get them. I have had to lock them in their coop, only letting them out when the dog is locked in the house. I am so upset about it. I was totally taken by surprise. It only takes one little thing to set nature in motion I guess.

Now thing are gong to be difficult having to make sure chickens and dog are kept apart. Its such a heartbreak as my chickens are pets first and I am very attached to my small flock.

If you dog is already chasing a chicken when you are about, then I would anticipate major problems. Keep then separate!!!!

Your right about the guineas, If I leave the human door open they can figure out how to get out which is what i did the first two days, the chickens have always gone out the there own chicken door. Since I have left the main door closed the guineas have not left the coop and the last day the guineas were out I had to open the main door so the one that kept walking around the coop calling for his friend could get in he would walk right past the chicken door.

I don't leave the dog's out by themselves with the chicken, I ll just keep training my dog's they have both been to classes and are pretty good learners.

Back
Top Bottom