I let the mouse go...

Aloha,

I have that problem but the little suckers like to go in to the cages too. I found that out when I was feeding the birds and all of a sudden I heard a squeak. I look back in and see a chicken running around all fluffed up! Not only that but she has a mouse in her mouth. Well lets just say the mouse was extra protein for that hen. It was terrifying and intriguing at the same time. But if the gals catch them then survival of the fittest and by the way they have caught a lot since.

My last cat was a tabby cat called Mouse. One night in my bedroom I could hear a mouse. I took the moggy into my room and said there yu go catch the mouse. He looked curled up and went to sleep even though I tried to get him to catch the thing. Next morning he caught it. So as far as he was conserned he was off the clock and who do overtime.

Of course I release them... into a tall container and drop a cat in with them. I could have lost my henhouse and all of my chickens because of the nasty things. DH installed 1/4" plywood over the whole interior of my henhouse and painted it white (love that by the way!). The mice were up in the ceiling and ate most of the insulation off of the wiring up there. I think the circuit breaker was probably the only thing that kept my henhouse from burning. Apparently they are actually attracted to the coating on electrical wiring. Cute or not, they are too destructive to let them go.

I have kept some,but have killed most.Keeping meaning we put it in an empty cage for a while to watch.We caught a meadow vole once.Thought it was just a REALLY fat mouse.Turns out it was pregnant,so watching that process was neat for the kids.Thankfully she did not eat her babies.

Generally though I use snap traps and kill most mice. I got them in my chicken shed,garage,crawlspace,attic,and car engine.Prolific little buggers.My dogs love to eat the moles.Anything that messes with my plant roots has gotta go!
My cats are still new to being outside in the fenced yard,and have not caught anything yet.Their instinct will kick in soon!

I want to report SUCCESS with the RatZapper! I set up 3 of them in my house last night: one in the bathroom where I know they're coming in, one in the kitchen, and one in the living room behind the entertainment center.

The bathroom unit caught one, the kitchen unit caught FOUR. LAST NIGHT.

They worked perfectly. No sound, no squeak, I just happend to see the little red light on the top blinking and yup, there was a dead mouse in it each time. Just carried the unit outside and dumped the carcass into the trash.

Quote:
Hubby wants to know if they'll work on voles/moles...lol
roll.png

I have a major mouse problem currently. However much I like to see them dead and have put traps out, I did take pity on one little guy. i had left a large 5 gallon bucket with just a few inches of water at the bottom. I had used it to refill waterers and that was what was left apparently. A day or two later I look in there and there is a mouse! Standing on his hind legs with just his nose sticking out of the water. I have no idea how long he was stuck like that, but I couldn't bear to kill the poor little guy after he worked so hard to stay alive. I dumped the bucket out in the brushy wooded area out back. What's one more at this point? LOL. I do plan on investing in a good mouse trap this spring, ie FARM CAT, however that little mouse deserved to live.

a few nights ago i spotted a mouse in the barn so i set the hav-a-heart trap and the next morning i had caught a mouse, so i tried to transfer it to a bucket to keep it in until i could drive it down the road and let it go, but it got away! i swear it was laughing at me as it ran beck to the barn...

Back
Top Bottom