I Live on the 11th floor, do chickens have suicidal tendencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

SteveMcL

Hatching
Feb 10, 2020
Hi, I live on the 11th floor, and have a big balcony that I'd like to let my chickens roam freely, If I keep them well fed will they jump over the rail and possibly fall to their death? I don't have any chickens yet, just want to know if it's possible to raise them on a balcony. The railing is probably 4 feet high.

Welcome to BYC! Are you really allowed to have chickens in your building? Yes chickens could easily fly up on a 4' railing. They may even be able to fly/glide down. If, and only if, you are allowed to raise poultry, I would instead consider quail, confined in a cage on the balcony.

The question still remains would a chicken jump off the rail?!

Chickens might be a bit on the unintelligent side in some regards but they still understand life and death....right?!?

Without having them living in such an environment, how would anyone know? If it's legal, try it, and have a backup plan (maybe someone on BYC) that will take the chickens if it doesn't work out.

The question still remains would a chicken jump off the rail?!

Chickens might be a bit on the unintelligent side in some regards but they still understand life and death....right?!?

Without having them living in such an environment, how would anyone know? If it's legal, try it, and have a backup plan (maybe someone on BYC) that will take the chickens if it doesn't work out.
The question also remains: is it a good living environment for a chicken to live on a balcony?

The question also remains: is it a good living environment for a chicken to live on a balcony?

haha, my first mental image says no but...if setup appropriately it could be a happy awesome place!! With the right "run" material the chickens wouldn't know they're 11 floors up!

Talk about some penthouse chicks!!

Last edited:
Yeah! Go for it! But no roosters, and clip their wings so they can’t fly. Also, make sure they can’t fit between your balcony bars. Chickens do have suicidal tendencies, though. I once had one who impaled herself on a wire hanging from the coop roof. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom