i lost 2 guinea hens

this morning he was out in the pen alone
A lot of us have mentioned having a loner or outcast. Sometimes it passes, sometimes the loner seems to prefer it. I have one that remains the loner, but still does his part w/i the flock, like guarding and looking for missing members & then go find them. He prefers to remain so many feet away from them, & does get jealous when another is getting my undivided attention (if I'm holding one, he'll start pecking both of us).
Tell us more about the toe - maybecwe can figure out what happened and help prevent it from happening again.

A lot of us have mentioned having a loner or outcast. Sometimes it passes, sometimes the loner seems to prefer it. I have one that remains the loner, but still does his part w/i the flock, like guarding and looking for missing members & then go find them. He prefers to remain so many feet away from them, & does get jealous when another is getting my undivided attention (if I'm holding one, he'll start pecking both of us).
Tell us more about the toe - maybecwe can figure out what happened and help prevent it from happening again.
yeah that's what Paul does and we don't really know what happened we found him with a bleeding toe and because he was the most human friendly we caught him the toenail fell off and he died I blame myself for it because a few days previous he didn't look himself he looked suicidal staring into our backyard pond and laying down there half of the day paul stayed with him even when the others left and also I was thinking of checking on him but didn't

yeah that's what Paul does and we don't really know what happened we found him with a bleeding toe and because he was the most human friendly we caught him the toenail fell off and he died I blame myself for it because a few days previous he didn't look himself he looked suicidal staring into our backyard pond and laying down there half of the day paul stayed with him even when the others left and also I was thinking of checking on him but didn't
It sounds like something else was going on that mb made him clumsy, caught his nail on wire, etc. My icon up there had a mate that pecked and pecked at his feet. This went on w/me doing everything under the sun to heal them. But as soon as it did, she'd do it again. I ended up amputating his toe. My point is, it seems to bleed profusely, but not an artery, and I think most have atleast one missing a nail. I know it hurts; it's hard for ppl w/o animals to understand that. But don't beat yourself up, it wasn't your fault, he didn't bleed to death. When a bird gets sick,he's going to become less active, eat/drink less & not have interest in what his mates are up to. When you see such things, start doing an assessment. See the threads on guineas 101 & diseases/illnesses so you learn what to look for. We've all been there, & there are some experienced birders in here who can help answer questions & tell you what to look for. 💛

thank you that helped he was the best guinea ever were planning on getting a 15 pack of guineas this spring we are down to 11 female 8 male and 1 female keet we have had this generation for years and its time to add a new generation and new colors all ours at the moment are pearls I don't think any of them will ever be the same as him and you saying that makes me think he has always had a health problem he was so friendly that might have been why

thank you that helped he was the best guinea ever were planning on getting a 15 pack of guineas this spring we are down to 11 female 8 male and 1 female keet we have had this generation for years and its time to add a new generation and new colors all ours at the moment are pearls I don't think any of them will ever be the same as him and you saying that makes me think he has always had a health problem he was so friendly that might have been why
not 11 female 1

They go through stages, I think. Even Blue kind of ignored me during mating season, but is back to following me around now. The Jumbos were the biggest chickens the 1st year, now calm & easy to work with. Nugget (the loner) is the one who gets jealous when Blue is in my lap. Nug used to ride on my shoulder but that wasn't cool during mating season, so he quit. But they all let me pick them up and hold them, clip their nails or wash their feet or whatever I need to do. I pet them, they "chat" w/me. Now the twins....:rant..are infuriating & often get warned about Sunday dinner (meatless threat, we don't eat them). But I remind myself that the others went through this stage, & this too shall pass.

Back
Top Bottom