i lost 2 of my hens in 10 days, im devastated

michelleh2294

Chirping
Apr 9, 2017
hi , i had 3 beautiful, wonderful hens for 3 yrs and now 2 are gone, im just sick and devastated.....the first one was luna my americauna, my boyfriend forgot and left the door to the coop open , we heard a scream went out and whatever got her killed her and left her under a tree....then he reinforced the coop and then friday at 3am we heard that horrible scream again, the coop was locked and went down and our favorite dahlia our barred rock was dead......ive been feeling so guilty, every nite just about i ask did you lock the chickens up, and the night luna died i didnt, then im feeling like we should have kept dahlia and our ruby rhode island red in the garage for some days till we triple checked the coop and now my dahlia is gone....we went friday noon and got 3 new 9 week old chicks i thought the company would make ruby feel better, and be a diversion for me, it isnt yet , all i think about is the 2 that are gone....we are keeping the new ones and ruby in the garage for now...my boyfriend is building a wood hutch on legs with a screen window and small door for them all to stay in at night locked up inside the locked coop...we think it was a raccoon that got dahlia, it pryed a piece of wood off the roof, feeling guilty too for not checking the roof after all the rain weve had, we even had a slippery tarp on the roof....so now the chickens when we do put them out there, they will be in the hutch inside the coop , a double layer of protection....to those of yu that have had alot of chickens, do you get to have new favorites with the new ones and will mine be as sweet and friendly as my others, i just hate that this happened,,,we had the 3 hens for 3 yrs with nothing happening, and now this, i loved having them roam the yard with me, and missing them and all of that so much

Hey michelleh2294 I am so very sorry to hear of your heartbreaking loss
sad.png
hugs.gif
These feathered friends of ours sure do have a way of attaching themselves to our hearts and I cry like a baby when I lose one of my much loved bantam pets.

If you are at all concerned about your new, reinforced set up, you could ask for opinions on the Predator Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

If you spend a lot of time with your 9 week old chicks, hand feed them some treats and wait for them to come to you as opposed to pushing yourself on them, you should get some sweet gals. Having said that, some hens just do not like being touched. I have a couple who trust me and talk to me and follow me around but do not like to be picked up.

Good luck with your new flock, I do so very much hope that all goes OK.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sorry that it is not under better circumstances that you join us.

Back
Top Bottom