I lost 2 turkey poults to the cold rain yesterday!!! :(

So sorry for your loss - I know what it is like to loose poults. Don't let any one tell you turkeys are stupid. The reason for putting their heads high in the air and standing erect with tail down during a rain storm is "To make their profile smaller” – (think about it) having less surface area for the rain to beat on and soak into. Poults do not have the natural oils within their feathers to repel water, this will come with molting, age and new plumage. Poults have down which soaks up water like a sponge. I am betting on being cold and wet causing death from exposure "hypothermia". Turkeys carry very innate traits – passed on by generations of this prehistoric bird. Knowing how to stand with their heads pointed high in the air is just one of many innate or natural instincts. I truly hope you find a couple replacements so the other isn’t lost calling (peep, peep, peep) all the time.

I truly hope you find a couple replacements so the other isn’t lost calling (peep, peep, peep) all the time.

Whatever turks lack in raw intelligence (and I've yet to see anything to indicate they use what they possess in their environment to a lesser degree than we do our own), they make up for in social acumen. When we lost our big Slate tom to disease back in July, the other two toms moped around for nearly a month afterwards, i.e., no displaying, pretty much stayed in their run even when free ranging was available.

Though I doubt any turkey has drowned in the rain, I'm betting some die from being lonely.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom