I lost my absolute favorite hen today.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Blueberry my splash Ameraucana was taken by a predator today. She was the absolute sweetest hen and would even go up to the neighbors to be pet. I will surely miss her. I can't imagine I'll ever have a hen as literally as sweet as her. She was extremely friendly from the day she hatched! She use to clean my fingers and my clothing like she'd clean feathers when sitting on my lap. Okay, I'm losing it as I type.

[​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    In my avatar pic is her and her inseparable sister Angel. Angel was so protective of blueberry.

3. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    aw it's especially tough losing the special ones [​IMG]

stinkin predators [​IMG]

4. cr8zy4chickens

cr8zy4chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    I'm so sorry about your loss. It seems like it's our favorite hens that die or are killed. The annoying ones live forever. Americaunas are the sweetest birds. I just got a new batch of babies that are 9 weeks old and have 4 Americaunas. I just love their personalities. So sorry about yours :(

5. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Why is that?? Of my entire flock, I had a favorite and as much as I favored her, I always knew if there was a loss she would be the first one gone... and when the fox showed up, of 6 losses, she was the first. Still miss her.....

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    A predator took her. I'm almost certain it's a coyote. I had one loss last year, I kept the flock in for a week and the coyote showed up in your backyard midday, which I saw it.:/ There was a pack and they did move on . I'm so sorry for your loss of 4.

We are planning on fencing, but it's 3 acres and is taking time to prepare. It will be nice once the fence is finished.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by