I Lost my cat last night :(

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
Mu hubby and I were in the basement tinkering with these new converter boxes and i was sitting on the chair with 2 of my baby chicks peanut and bernie Jr when i glanced over at the couch and saw my 6 yr old cat gasping for air. At first i thought he had a hairball or something but very quickly realized he couldn't breathe. I scream to the hubby that boot can't breathe and he runs over to him and starts CPR. He couldn't get any air into him and he was limp, pupils were begining to dialate. I was of no help what so ever I basically freaked out crying and screaming "is he gonna die"?

Nick my husband asked me to call 911 I told him they won't do anything for us and there was no time to get to a vet so he continued to do CPR. Boot the cat began to make these wierd noises and tilted his head back and screeched then expired
hit.gif
. After that i lost it so bad i made myself sick. Boot and sasha are my 2 cats and are so very close, she saw him laying on the floor after he died and she ran right up to him licking him and crying for him
hit.gif
. It happened sooo fast that he would have never made the trip to the vet.

I settled down a few hours after the ordeal and went out to the garage to do my chicken chore out there (not knowing where he put the cat) I glanced at this chair and there he was wrapped in the blanket. I couldn't go near it and lost it all over again. I kept waking up in the middle of the night crying and woke up this morning crying. My eyes are darn near swollen shut andmy head is POUNDING. This is like loosing a family member, even when i have lost chickens it wasn't this hard.

I got boot after i lost my cat muffin to diabetes to fill the empty spot in my heart. That one was sooo hard to get over too, i cried for a week straight. A friend of ours felt soo bad for our loss he brought boot to me and i immediately fell in love. He was a small cat all back except for one foot had a white boot hence the name. He loved to be held and cuddled, he did tricks like high fives and kisses, he loved the chickens, dogs but most of all sasha. She is so lost without him she cried all night too. She keeps looking for him in his usual hiding spots. There was no warning signs no sogns of being sick, in fact that morning i was taking a shower and he always has to be in there with me, i think he likes the heat and humidity along with climbing in the tub to lap up the water left after i get done. He was just fine and completely normal.

Years ago my mother adopted a dog who was 9 months old. Name was LD and he was a chewer and very destructive, he ate their couch. They went out of town and i watched him while they were gone. The night i brought him back to my house he died on my kitchen floor and since then if i see one of my babies in distress i freak out and can't go near them. The dog was foaming at the mouth gasping for air like boot did and there was nothing i could do for him. Found out from the vet that he had something lodged in his assophogus (sp) from eating the couch and i couldn't have saved him anyway.

Boot had a heart condition that i discovered upon a vet visit before him and sasha were to be declawed. The vet refused to do the surgery on him in fear that he wouldn't make it thru so i opted to take him home without having further testing done. I never did find out how bad the heart condition was because it would have costed thousands of dollars to do so. It never bothered him and he had never fell ill from it. Now im feeling like this is all my fault for not selling something to get the funds to take him back in for further testing. I would have had to sell my transportation to be able to afford the vets tests or take a second mortgage on the house or something major, we are barely hanging on to this house as it is. Sorry this is soooo long winded but thank you for letting me vent. RIP booters
hit.gif

Here is a pic of him and his best friend sasha, he is the black one on the left
10663_img_0620.jpg

Oh, honey! I am soooo sorry about your kittie.
hugs.gif

I lost one the same way many years ago. I tried to dislodge the object in it's throat but couldn't. I know what you are going through and I feel for you.
Just know that you and your hubby tried so don't beat yourself up over it. Remember Boot as he was and be thankful for all the time you had with him.

I am sooo sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
He looks just like my Roscoe that I lost.
hit.gif
It is so hard when something like that happens.
hugs.gif
hit.gif
hugs.gif

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't) but when you were describing what happened, I was thinking blood clot/stroke. Then you went on to say he had heart problems. So, that pretty much confirms it, and there is absolutely nothing you could have done for him. The best you can say is that you were both there with him. You didn't come home and find him. He didn't die alone. If the condition was bad enough that the vet wouldn't touch him, then it sounds like he lived a lot longer than the vet thought he might.

I know this probably didn't help any, but I know how it is, going over everything, wondering "If I had done this..?" "What if I had done that..?" I just wanted to try and give you some reassurance that he had something going on and even if the vet had been in the room with him, he couldn't have saved him.
sad.png

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful Boot. He was gorgeous!

((((((((((HUGE HUGS)))))))))))

Shelly

Oh honey I am so sad for you. I love our kitties so much and it would break my heart to lose one of them. BIG HUGS!!!!

In a week or so go your local shelter and find Sasha a buddy....

I am so sorry for your loss, I know it isn't much comfort but what a comfort it will be for you when you look back and remember that he didn't suffer with a long illness.

I know it sounds cold but he lived the life of a luxury cat right to the end. He had 2 humans who worshipped the ground he walked on and a cat friend. What a life he lived. I bet he would not of changed it for the world.

Hugs to you, take the time to grieve. Me I have to have a new friend when I lose one I am close to. I am lost until I find a new friend. You will know when the time is right for you.

Nobody will replace Boots but at some point you could give one special kitty a really great life, be it for 1 day or 20 years.

Again sorry for your loss.

OMG! I had something so similar happen to my 4 year old cat! Realized that she was gasping for air. Got her to ER Vet within 10 minutes, spent the night on oxygen & meds and vet said she wouldn't make it so we put her down.
hit.gif
This happened about 3 months ago. Vet said it was probably a previously undiagnosed heart issue and that kitties hide things till it's sometimes too late.

I'm so sorry! I know just how you feel.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Oh, I am so sorry this happened. It was not your fault at all. Dont blame yourself. You were very smart to give him a good life and not get yourself in financial trouble over his heart condition.

I worked at a vet for 5 years, trust me, the animal is not better off if you loose your house or something.

You did the right thing and he was able to pass at home with you-that in itself is a blessing.
I hope time will heal the wounds-know that lots of people are thinking of you and your family. We are!
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Your story reminded me of a cat we had his name was Ivan ( named after a hurricanes like his litter mates ) he was a short haired black cat. I came done one morning (early) and He cound not breath I could not do anything for him, he died in my arms a few minutes later. I felt so guilty for him for so long, I started to think about him this summer because his sister/littermate Katrina died.

But don't feel guilty you did everything you could for him
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom