I lost my first chicken this morning =( I don't know why

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I found her in the coop this morning when I went out to check on everyone. She appeared perfectly healthy yesterday. I don't have/see any diseases or any issues with any birds in my flock. I don't know what other information to give to help me figure it out. This is my first loss and I'm taking it hard. I feel like a crappy chicken keeper. :(
-She was found on her stomach, neck turned to the side, eyes closed. Cold and stiff, so this must have happened sometime last night.
-She's a German Bielefelder, 14 weeks old.
-Their diet is scratch and peck organic starter crumbles, with side supplements of oyster shells and grit they can access and are also fed various fruits/vegs daily, depending on what I have available. I have a mixed age/breed flock (ages range from 6-19 weeks), so I have been considering changing their staple food. I would prefer to feed them something organic, but open to any suggestions.
I don't know what else to look for. Physically she looked and acted fine.
I'm so sad. :(

I'm so sorry. I would want answers just like you. Can you send her to have a necropsy done?
Our chicken friends are sometimes fragile and we don't know what may have happened.
Just know this was not your fault, especially if she had a hidden issue like a heart defect.

Sorry for your loss. The best way to get a diagnosis is for a state vet to perform a necropsy. I do home necropsies, and sometimes I can spot cancer, internal laying, ascites, or something else that is easily seen. There may be certain signs that one is not doing well, but most of us has had the occasional sudden death. Checking occaionally to see if a crop empties overnight, feeling for weight loss, and looking them over for lice or mites is helpful. If one doesn’t come off the roost or out of the coop in the morning, or if their tail is low and not upright, there could be an illness. Organic food doesn’t make them healthier, but it is just a personal choice. A homogenous balanced chicken feed (layer or all flock) where there is the same thing in each crumble or pellet is better for me. Scratch and peck feeds may cause some chickens to pick out the tastiest morsels, which might result in a vitamin or mineral deficiency, or not get enough protein.

Back
Top Bottom