I lost my Pookie Bear Bacardi cat today-she was 18, very hurt

callducklover20

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Bonner Springs, KS
I woke up today and 2 of my other cats were making me follow them downstairs, alerting me that something was wrong-and when I couldnt find my 18 yr old cat I knew something must be wrong with her. They led me to her and I found her half way under a dresser trying to hide, she had a seizure or stroke or heartattack or something and was doing bad-she passed in my arms before I could even get dressed to get her to the vet. I know that none of this was my fault, she had a full blood panel work up last year and always had dental care etc since I worked at a vet for the last 12 yrs, there are no poisons or anything around that she got into-but still Im sort of beating myself up thinking that I missed something. She ate great yesterday and acting pretty normal for her 18 yr old self-I know this was probably just an old age thing but I still thought I had a few years with her. We have been through so much together, she has traveled all over with me and Im going to really miss her sitting here on my lap bugging me while I try to type away on the keyboard. I really hope she was greeted by her favorite brothers my loyal chocolate lab Chip who always carried her around in his mouth when she was a kitten and he was a pup and my other black cat Snaggle who passed 6 months ago at 18 too-Chip had cancer so I was prepared and Snaggle was diabetic for 2 yrs so I was prepared but Bacardi went so fast it is hitting me very hard, I just wish they all lived longer-it is so hard losing them

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think that's the hardest, when it happens so fast and your unprepared. She had a very good life, and it was her time. It sounds like your animals are alot like mine. They live to a ripe old age, because they're loved and well taken care of.
hugs.gif

When they go suddenly, it is always a shock, but 18 years is a good long life. Look at it this way - she was still relatively healthy and enjoying life right up until the end. You didn't have to watch her suffer and drag around, you never had to think, will tomorrow be the day I have to end her life? Her life never became a burden to either of you, and I think most of us would prefer to go that way. I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't think you have anything to feel guilty or regretful about.
hugs.gif

I am sorry for your loss. You must have taken excellent care of her for her to make it to 18, it sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry. I can tell that your pets are a big part of your life, just like mine. There really are no words, are there....

Hugs to you callduck. She must have had a great life with you - 18 yrs old! One of my cats crawled under a washstand when he was ready to go. So sad. We love our cats don't we?

You have my sympathies as well. I had my 17 year old cat put to sleep yesterday. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. My wife and I buried her right outside of her favorite window and plan on planting a butterfly bush over her in the spring. Until then we put some solar butterflies around her grave.

Back
Top Bottom