1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I`m getting day olds in the 22nd of april!! Soo many Q!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollychicken, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    1. Is it OK to bring them to my school when they r 3 days old with no heat lamp for half the day and I will be holding them alot.[​IMG]

2. Is there any sympotoms of a chicken diseas I should look for?

3. I `m so nervous about getting them !! I keep having nightmares that they are all going to die , is there any calming tips?

4. Do you givr the chicks food when they are first hached?

2. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    Are your chicks being shipped to you or are you hatching them? I can try to answer a few questions. There are many diseases and problems chicks can have. Some are preventable, some not so much. I used medicated feed with my chicks to prevent coccidiosis. I kept sav-a-chick in their water until I ran out and then switched them to apple cider vinegar in the water to aid digestion, etc.

I was very nervous before I got the chicks. Then I was nervous about them in their brooder. Everything was fine and eventually I calmed down. It's just part of the process! :)

Since my chicks shipped, they were nearly a day old when the arrived. I put them in the brooder with only water at first and then put food in a few hours later. This was suggested to me by a local chicken hobbyist. He thought it let them calm down and settle before starting to ingest the food. It made sense to me and worked well with my chicks.

As for bringing them to school, I don't know. Not sure how much it will stress them out. They are so sturdy in some respects, yet so fragile in others. So I'm just not sure.

3. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    if your going to bring them to school DON"T let any one eles tuch them with out washing their hands first next any way you could get like a heating pad or somthing warm in their they need to be warm at all times. yes give them food when you first get them. when you get them dip their beaks in water and then in the food. and they should be fine and as for the excitment i felt the same way just go for a run or somthing keep busy. next ummm just watch for any chicks not eatting or drinking or sleeping all the time when others arnt and their poop. and a big one watch for pasty butt it can kill them also keep Save-A-Chick on hand ad vetrx (can get both at farm & fleet)[​IMG]

4. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    Thank you all for the anwserbut I still have one more what is this save-a-chick stuff?

5. mannamedL

mannamedL Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
  6. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I am a newbie here, and just want to say, this forum is FULL of great information, I have probably read just about every post here (and that's alot!!) It's taken me almost a week, but there is always new and informative stuff being posted..

Search this board, you'll find the info to be soooooo helpful:)
    Diane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by