1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I`m getting some new 1 day old chicks in the mail soon any advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollychicken, Mar 27, 2012.

1. hollychicken

hollychicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Smiths Falls , Canada
    I`m getting 4 day old chicks and I just want to know if there is something to do with them as soon as you get them and how do you tame chicks?[​IMG]

2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Before they arrive make sure all is ready (box, heat, water & food).

When they do get there, dip every beak into the water and make sure they drink, then keep an eye on them and make sure they do eat and drink.

As to taming them, just interact with them often but not too much when they just arrive or very small.

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    First off, when they get there they are going to need a warm place to go, food and water. Make sure all this is ready to go before you chicks arrive. When they do get in, show them where the water is and where the food is. After that, leave them alone for the day. Let them get used to thier new home. The next day and many days after you need to check on them 3,4,5 times a day. When you do, talk to them. Every time I see them I say,"Hey chickie, chickie. Now when they hear that they know its me. Kind of like the Mama hens clucking to them. When you visit try to pick everyone of them up one at a time. Cup the chick in your hands so it can feel the warmth. When the chick settles try strocking it a bit, Kind of like Mama hens preening. Then put it down and go to the next untill everyone gets a turn. If you do this every day they will eventually come around. I got 2 little buggers that run up to me now ready for a little attention. The rest tolerate me. But there is 2 of the 16 that just dont like to be handled. I respect that. But those 2 will be the first to take a tiny mealworm from my hand. At 2 weeks old I introduced the little guys to the outside world and Meal worms. This really made them come around. When we are outside they are more communicable. And after they get thier little beaks on some meal worms,(AKA Chicken Crack) they really get friendly. When they are outside, Make sure its a warm day and they have some shelter from the wind and a sunny spot and a shady spot. If they start peeping loudly and consistantly, they need to go back to the heat lamp.
    Well this has been my 2 pennies for the new chicks. This web site has lots of good info. Search the home page for it. mypetchicken.com has a great little free e-book on raising chicks. Id go there and read as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your new baby chicks.
    Before they arrive make sure your brooder is set up and test the heat to make sure the temp stays stable and is not too hot.

Some folks handle their chicks every day in an attempt to make them tame.
    I have found that while they are day olds, they pretty much allow you to do anything to them.
    Then they get older and become a bit skittish.
    Then they go through the teenage stage and act like they are terrified of you.
    Then they become adults and wanna sit in your lap.

You will have your "favorite(s)" that you will coddle more often.
    I have a few "favorites" that sit in my coverall pocket while I do my chores.
    They're bantam sized so they're easy to carry around.
    My d'Uccles are the friendliest (and most demanding of wanting to be carried around).

READ all you can from the forum and most of all . . . ENJOY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by