I made some changes to the coop

mcycle12

Chirping
Jul 19, 2020
Southern New Jersey
I made a couple of changes to the coop in the last week or so. I moved the feeder, put skateboard grip tape on the ramp and added a small ladder to the roost bars. Here's a short video about what I did:

I really get a kick out of watching the chickens. Their roosting process makes me wonder just what is going through their minds. The top of the pecking order (Barred Rock) seems to take the lead and start the process. The others follow along reluctantly, sometimes going in and out of the coop a couple of times, before staying in. Here's a video of the roosting (the camera makes it look lighter than it actually was):

Looks really good! And they certainly look like they are enjoying your company too. :thumbsup

I would go ahead and open the nesting boxes; they're going to be needing free access eventually anyway. Do you keep the sliding door door down so they can't go in the roosting areas until you lift it up? Just wondering because that seems like a unnecessary extra step unless your containing them in there for safety sake.🤔

Do you keep the sliding door door down so they can't go in the roosting areas until you lift it up? Just wondering because that seems like a unnecessary extra step unless your containing them in there for safety sake.

No, there is a separate door that closes down in front of the nesting boxes. They are free to come and go as they please all day in the coop. The door is always open during the day. Thanks!

Roost spacing looks tight.
Good rule of thumb is 12" away from wall and 12-18" apart.

Yes, I am planning on more roosts on the other end of the coop. The roosts in there were a quick fix to get them out in the coop as soon as possible. Funny thing is that they all crowd together on half of one rung of the roost every night. They did that in the brooder box also; they would face alternating ways and crowd each other.

One more minor upgrade to the coop....just in case a visitor doesn't know the purpose of the structure. :)
IMG_3453.JPG

Back
Top Bottom