I may be growing my own food for the chickens after all, due to genetic editing

Pics
On to Iodine.
.... I can add iodized salt. Duh.
Oh. Duh again.
There is a version of trace mineral salt designed for selenium deficient regions. It can be mixed with standard trace mineral salt in different proportions to fit different degrees of deficiencies.

I don't feel it was wasted effort to have dug into the subject, though. I learned a lot; some of it will be helpful for the chickens or what I eat.

It is nice to have a solution to use or tweak instead of coming up with other solutions, though.

On the news last night, was a segment on a new way of growing Christmas trees. Messing with the dna gives a Christmas tree that grows in a prettier shape given less than ideal weather, holds its needles longer, and smells better.

I think imperfections in a natural (unsheared or minimally sheared) Christmas tree make prettier trees. As does natural branching so ornaments can actually hang down from the branches. We like some plain bulbs near the trunk to twinkle as they reflect the lights.

Even if people don't agree that the imperfections make the trees prettier - we are taking risks for decoration.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that a 1,000 years of cross breeding allowed humans a 1,000 years of adaptation. Consider the accelerated development of wheat and the increase in gluten sensitivities that are seen now. (and I don't believe that was even GMO) Could there be a correlation? It sure seems plausible.

Then, as another poster pointed out later, many GMO alterations are things that could NEVER happen in nature. They're pulling gene sequences from other plants and animals and putting them in crops that could never pollinate together.

Now, that in and of itself is not necessarily a problem. But, it also has the potential for unforeseen consequences.

My biggest concern with GMOs at the moment is Glyphosate. These crops are modified to survive glyphosate. Then grown in it and have residual glyphosate in the harvested crop. That appears to have significant negative health consequences. So, it's not the GMO per se, but what comes along with it that has my immediate concern.
Not to mention there’s a class action law suit over it

On the news last night, was a segment on a new way of growing Christmas trees. Messing with the dna gives a Christmas tree that grows in a prettier shape given less than ideal weather, holds its needles longer, and smells better.

I think imperfections in a natural (unsheared or minimally sheared) Christmas tree make prettier trees. As does natural branching so ornaments can actually hang down from the branches. We like some plain bulbs near the trunk to twinkle as they reflect the lights.

Even if people don't agree that the imperfections make the trees prettier - we are taking risks for decoration.
I saw this as well. I prefer the regular ol’ tree as well

Disclaimer, this is all being said in a nice calm voice 💕

Gmos are grown in desolate fields that harm the local fauna and flora, drain the soil from any nutrients and also contributes to global warming, via scorched earth. The plants are heavily sprayed with roundup which makes that soil inhospitable for anyone else to plant if the fields are sold. You have to buy the seed you plant because they're patented. Comparing hybridization to gmo is inconceivable. I've heard the same thing over and over how it's supposed to prevent starvation and here we are decades later and there's still people starving all over the world. Gmo is all about control and money. Monsanto paid hundreds of millions for the roundup poisoning. Do you think that they didn't know? Corporations know and have lawyers to help them get away with their crimes until they finally can't. It's all about money for them, c suite level make millions every year while the actual employees are under 100k.

There are so many ways to farm and raise animals that's actually good for the environment. Why do you think the sod was thick through the Midwest, buffalo traversed it how many times. Rotational grazing, food forest gardening. It's all sustainable and good for our planet. If you're ok with GMOs why raise chickens? Just buy the production eggs at the store from chickens that never see the sun nor a blade of grass and are culled at 18 months for dog food. Good husbandry is what will save the planet, not super farms and GMOs.

Disclaimer, this is all being said with a calm nice voice, not a yeller 💕

if you have not yet read it, i’m betting you’d enjoy Eating to Extinction by Dan Saladino. It’s a fascinating read about how we’ve all but eliminated diversity in our food supply. Even has a section on chickens. :)

Why even bother to feed a processed food in that case - just do what my grandma did back in Newfoundland - they fed the hens the left over fish guts, bones, skin, and stale bread and any leftovers they had - those chickens lived grand old lives and laid many lovely eggs.

It's only recently that 'prepared' feeds have been around for pets, horses, chickens, etc.

Their only advantage is that they 'convenient' to feed - and less waste. Personally I know many people at home who feed their horses plain old hay and straight oats. They feed their dogs and cats left overs from dinner, and the chickens get what they can scrounge during summer time and scraps they are thrown.

Actually ALL agriculture is harmful to the local indigenous flora and fauna - the cutting down of trees and plowing up of lands in Europe has been going on for thousands of years and was the 'start' of this global warming 'thing'.

Now here in N.A. the plowing up of all that lovely Prairie lands, destroying habitat for animals such as Prong Horns, Prairie dogs, etc; cutting back vast forests of 200 yr old oaks, and Beech, all to make farm land - draining wetlands to make farmlands, and paving over of farmlands to make towns.

GMOs are not the harm to local flora and fauna - human activity is :barnie
Disclaimer, this is all being said in a nice calm voice 💕

Gmos are grown in desolate fields that harm the local fauna and flora, drain the soil from any nutrients and also contributes to global warming, via scorched earth. The plants are heavily sprayed with roundup which makes that soil inhospitable for anyone else to plant if the fields are sold. You have to buy the seed you plant because they're patented. Comparing hybridization to gmo is inconceivable. I've heard the same thing over and over how it's supposed to prevent starvation and here we are decades later and there's still people starving all over the world. Gmo is all about control and money. Monsanto paid hundreds of millions for the roundup poisoning. Do you think that they didn't know? Corporations know and have lawyers to help them get away with their crimes until they finally can't. It's all about money for them, c suite level make millions every year while the actual employees are under 100k.

There are so many ways to farm and raise animals that's actually good for the environment. Why do you think the sod was thick through the Midwest, buffalo traversed it how many times. Rotational grazing, food forest gardening. It's all sustainable and good for our planet. If you're ok with GMOs why raise chickens? Just buy the production eggs at the store from chickens that never see the sun nor a blade of grass and are culled at 18 months for dog food. Good husbandry is what will save the planet, not super farms and GMOs.

Disclaimer, this is all being said with a calm nice voice, not a yeller 💕

Back
Top Bottom