I may have a rooster?

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
I have had six hens for about a year. I’ve never had a rooster. I just ordered 11 chicks from MPC. So I will have 17. The new babies are 3 weeks old. One is decidedly larger than the others and thick legs. I think my Green Queen may be a Green King. If Cheerio is a rooster I’m contemplating what that would look like for my flock. My plan is to just have egg layers and possibly sell eggs at a local farmers market. All 17 chickens are different breeds. What happens to the eggs if I have a rooster? Someone told me just put eggs in the refrigerator right away and it will be fine. Can I still sell eggs if I have a rooster?

I have had six hens for about a year. I’ve never had a rooster. I just ordered 11 chicks from MPC. So I will have 17. The new babies are 3 weeks old. One is decidedly larger than the others and thick legs. I think my Green Queen may be a Green King. If Cheerio is a rooster I’m contemplating what that would look like for my flock. My plan is to just have egg layers and possibly sell eggs at a local farmers market. All 17 chickens are different breeds. What happens to the eggs if I have a rooster? Someone told me just put eggs in the refrigerator right away and it will be fine. Can I still sell eggs if I have a rooster?
Yup you can

What happens to the eggs if I have a rooster? Someone told me just put eggs in the refrigerator right away and it will be fine. Can I still sell eggs if I have a rooster?

If you have a rooster, the eggs will be fertile.
That means they can hatch IF you put them in an incubator, or let a broody hen sit on them.

But if you collect eggs every day, and store them in the refrigerator or even at room temperature, no chicks will develop in the eggs. You can sell them, cook them, and eat them just like normal. Most people will never have a clue whether the egg is fertile or not, because it's just an egg like any other egg.

Where are you located? There are regulations for egg selling in many different states. In California we have to have an "Egg Handlers" license. Along with that there are regulations like the eggs HAVE to be refrigerated, certain label requirements, etc. You may want to check this out where you live. Otherwise, it's no big deal to have a rooster. If the eggs are fertile most people can't even tell! Unless someone asks me I don't mention that the eggs may be fertile. Some people WANT fertile eggs, they think it gives them fertility too! I live in Northern California and have an egg business. Good luck and don't worry!

If you put them right in the fridge it would stop the fertilization process within the egg yes, but I do agree with check your local laws since some areas do not allow the selling of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom