I may have found a way to break a hen that wants to be broody

Chickenpoor

Songster
Jan 3, 2011
Westminster, SC
I have a BCM hen that has been trying to be broody for a week or two even though she had no eggs to set on. I have fought with her and tried many things to try to break her out of the broody cycle. I tried throwing her out of the nest box every time she got in it and it didnt work, I hatched chicks in my incubator and tried putting one under her and it didn't work out because she attacked it, that made me angry at her
somad.gif
so I grabbed her out of the nest and dipped her in the water trough to see if that would help............still didnt work, she just walked around in the run until she dried and went right back to the nest
barnie.gif

SO today I got to thinking about all the stuff I had read on here and a few other sites about how if you cooled their underside it is supposed to make their body quit producing the hormones and stuff that makes their underside warm up which in turn triggers them to want to be broody(which is why I tried dunking her in the water trough). I then thought maybe I can try putting a few pieces of ice under her in the nest which led to the thought of NO that will get the nest box wet and nasty which will lead to mold or something. SO then I decided I needed to put the ice in something so it wouldnt get every where when it melted. I grabbed a quart sized zip lock bag and filled it half way with ice, forced all the air out of the bag and zipped it. I then went out to the coop and placed the bag under her, I thought she would have a fit when she saw it but she didnt, she let me put it under her and then she shuffled around on it like they do their eggs to get them situated and just sat there. I went out about 1 1/2 - 2 hours later to refill their feeder and she was still on it. when I put the food in she got off and ate and then.........to my amazement.......she didnt return to the nest and she wasnt puffing up or clucking as much as she had been when she would usually get off the nest.......and even more amazing this after noon she got on the roost with the rest of the BCM flock instead of getting in the nest for the night so Im hoping I broke her broody spell.
fl.gif
:fl:fl

I will keep everyone updated and let you know if she stays out of the nest tomorrow or not. Im just so excited that she got on the roosts tonight instead of going back in the nest that I wanted to go ahead and let everyone know about the trick I found that just might work to break stubborn broodys. If you have a hen that wants to be broody and you dont want her to be, try it and let me know if it works for you or not. Just dont leave the ice bag under them to long.

Just an update: I went out just a little while ago to check on her and she didnt return to the nest this morning so I think I broke her from the broody spell.

yay!
cool trick. I'll keep this in my pocket just in case I need it...
thanks for the explanation of why you did what you did... makes sense!

I put those little cooler freezer packs into a zip bag and place it under them. It stays colder longer that way.
And I thought i was the only brilliant one that thought of using zip locks!!!!!!!!!!

The only way I have found that seems to be sure to break my hens of being broody is to give them eggs to sit on. As soon as I do that, up they get.
he.gif
Lol, I dunked mine in the ducks pool a few times a day, it never worked for me either. I'll try the ice pack thing next time, thanks.

wonderful, my girls are only 26 weeks, so too young I am assuming to go broody, I will keep this tip in mind when I have to deal with it!

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking about saying you could probably use those also but I didnt. A good thing about using those is you dont have to worry about water going every where if the bag came open and you can refreeze them and use them again.

She went back on the roosts again tonight. She is still clucking a little but she should quit that in a few days also. When I go out to check and see where she is she looks at me and takes off running
D.gif
. She's probably thinking oh no hes coming with another one of those cold "eggs" to put under me I better act normal.

Back
Top Bottom