I may have just had a revelation,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chief, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Chief

Chief Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    About a month ago my hens laying slowed quite a bit, I thought they were entering a molt or the change in seasons may have been been the cause. But last night I realized that when I had built their new pens, I had moved them to the other side of the shed & there is a mercury light on that side of the building. It stays on all night long. The coop has a roof over it that casts a shadow for them but they still can see a large part of the yard lit up all night long. I suspect that it is disrupting their rest. If any one out there has an opinion on this please let me know your thoughts. I really would like them to get back to laying.

2. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    In all probability, it may have more to do with the fact that you MOVED them than with a lighting issue. I always have problems with laying when I make any big move or move in a large number of new birds. Seems to throw them off for a while. IMHO

3. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Good question! Hadn't even crossed my mind. Just figured it was getting colder and they were going to lay less. I've had two broodys hatch with all their chaos going on. That might be it, dunno. New shadows might do it too. Do the shadows move? hmmmm
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by