I miss my ducks :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by homemakerjulie, Feb 15, 2012.

1. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    The other morning (early, right before the sun comes up), something came and took 9 of my ducks, leaving three, They are still so scared they won't come out from under the chicken house (they usually slept there, or in the chicken house, I let them out when I let the dog out, came back in and fell asleep, so, so regretting that). I found two of them, but can't find any of the others, not even feathers. I miss my quackers :( Probably silly to hope that they still come back, that they are just hiding scared somewhere (I have looked and looked and looked).

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I am so sorry for your loss. I read this aloud to my honey (because I gasped in shock & he asked why) and I started to tear up.
    [​IMG]

I can only imagine what you are going through. But, we all make mistakes.
    I have one tricky chicken who likes to hide at night sometimes. I have to do a head count because once a week or so she (now dubbed "Dummy") will roost somewhere strange.
    There have been a few nights that I have forgotten to do a head count, or mistaken one of the other hens for her.
    I guess my point is that it could happen to anyone. We all make mistakes. Please don't beat yourself up over it.

[​IMG]

3. Rosepath Garden

Rosepath Garden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I never hurry to let the ducks out here.
    I have seen foxes twice running around early but with plenty of light.
    Daring devils.

4. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Oh My Goodness it was my own dog! I caught her with one of the remaining ducks in her mouth. I don't know what I am going to do. And the hurt duck is hiding in a place I can't even reach to try to help it.

5. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I know it won't bring your ducks back, but I would get rid of that dog. Any dog that kills chickens or ducks is going to do it again. I would never and could never love a dog like that. My birds are way too precious. I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I don't know if I'd get rid of the dog but I would definitely fence the ducks in during the day and lock them in predator proof housing at night. Sorry for your loss...

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry to hear about your ducks and now to find out it was your dogs is really a bummer, I would asap separate dog from ducks, before anymore are hurt or killed, as for your duck thats hiding can one of your kids climb in the area and maybe scare it our so you can check it out? let us know how it is please.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So sorry for your loss. Only you and your family will be able to decide what to do with the dog.

Are you sure that none of the ducks are somewhere else hiding? Most domestic dogs would not completely do away with the carcass. Were the ducks in a covered area, could they have flown even over a fence when scared? I would try to look in every nook and craney for them. I just can't believe that a dog would be able to do away with that many in a short time period.

As Miss Lydia suggested can a smaller person/child try to get the hurt duck?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

9. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Oh my.
    I am so sorry for you. [​IMG] What a day.
    I agree with jdy - that sounds like a lot of ducks for one dog, and they don't usually hide things well. I would do a very thorough search. But, I am sure you are already.

10. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Thanks you all, I am searching, deeply. I have covered a lot of ground, tomorrow I am going to recheck and check a few places I hadn't yet. I was also finally able to get the injured duck, he has a pretty decent gash, I think I will see if our vet can stitch it up. I put him in clean shavings in a box just in case I can get him to the vet (see if they treat ducks!) I didn't want to risk not being able to catch him. His brother was wanting him around but I could not get him to keep them together.

As for if it was all my dog, I don't know, but I do know she would have gone nuts if something came in her yard, I have seen her chase the neighbor dogs away, and she would have been barking up a storm which would have gotten our other dogs barking. So maybe they are just hiding, but boy are they hiding good. I hope to find them, or evidence of them soon, just to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by