I need a duck deter for my house!

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
I have no idea WHY my 4 campell's have decided to peck at my house into the pink insulation and they keep moving down the house. the others leave it alone. I am not able to surround the entire house. Does any one know of a spray/flavor that I could spray or any other ideas? I am quite sure, the insulation isn't nutritional sound!! Greatly appreciate your insights. my husband hasn't seen the latest damage. He will NOT be happy and they may need to go if we cant keep them away for the house - or will need to be penned at all times :(

They are probably bored. (my guess) Can you cover the pink stuff with a tarp or something to protect it? I think officially it should not be exposed anywhere. It's the foam, right? Or is it the fuzzy pink fiberglass?
Do they have gravel available to help with digestion?

My goose absolutely loved picking at the foam insulation. Not great when it’s a rental! I wound up having to pen them with electric netting and only letting them out into the yard to free range when I was available to monitor what they were up to. Definitely covering anything that they can get their bills onto is necessary or denying access with fencing of some sort.

Giving them other things to pick at and poke through may help but they may also just continue to play with their fun toy they’ve discovered. Best bet is to make it inaccessible.

They have complete free range (penned in predator proof at night). I can not see How they could be bored!!! yes, we have gravel on the driveway and their current set up is in the horse arena (sand) with a dug in pond. Tons of activity for them...The foam Was covered with a grey weather proof like coating, which they have pecked through. I just wish there was a flavor or something that would be unpleasant for them to stop. Like bitter apple for dogs or tabasco sauce

I guess the other thing you could try would be electric fencing. Mine don’t go near it after they tried to eat it a few times and shocked themselves good. Sometimes it’s best to set it up, bait it, and let them try it. For ducks you’d have to make sure the strands are close enough together they can’t just slip through or under. Their feathers make it harder to shock them too, so usually baiting it so they taste it is the best way to go. My heart hurts when I hear them after they bite it but it only takes one taste and they leave it alone from then on, so it’s not like they’re torturing themselves with it...

They have complete free range (penned in predator proof at night). I can not see How they could be bored!!! yes, we have gravel on the driveway and their current set up is in the horse arena (sand) with a dug in pond. Tons of activity for them...The foam Was covered with a grey weather proof like coating, which they have pecked through. I just wish there was a flavor or something that would be unpleasant for them to stop. Like bitter apple for dogs or tabasco sauce
I have heard of Peppermint oil being used as a repellent for things like mice and different insects, not sure how ducks would react to the smell of it? IMO, Some type of temporary fence would be the best.

Back
Top Bottom