I Need a little help counting days... sounds stupid, I know.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by warmfuzzies, Feb 23, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, I really do know how to count... [​IMG]

I put them in on the 26th, so I starteed counting the next day, and planned for a hatch on the 27th.

But then I read that if you set them in the morning, count that day as day 1. I put them in early in the morning before breakfast. (I was very excited... eating can wait!!)

So am I due to hatch on the 26th or 27th? I was going to stop turning tomorrow, but maybe today would be better? Also, my temps have been a little on the high side, like 100.5 instead of 99.5. (forced air)

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    does not sound stupid at all i fought with this last year i set on sunday the next sunday is 7 days. i set in the mid to late afternoon your not going to be over a day off anyway you count and a day really does not matter at all i would probly stop truning today by what you have say. but a day is not going to matter to mutch i belive the chick is developed by the 18 day and then starts moveing into postion for the hatch on that day or the day after. you should be fine i belive.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If you set them on the 26th of January, they would have been hatching on the 15th of February...did you write the correct date?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you put them in early, that day counts as Day 1 so yours are due the day before you figured on.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    easy if set at 9 am then next day at 9 am is ONE.

if set at 11 pm then next day at 11 pm is ONE.

6. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Quote:Sorry I meant 6th not 26th. It was the 6th of febuary. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Its just an estimate since they can start pipping on Day 20 and sometimes, even Day 19 (though I only had that happen once). So, I just use the general rule that if they go in by around noon, that day is Day One. If they go in the bator in the afternoon or evening, the next day is Day One. Has worked fine every time.

8. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Its the new chicken math and I still have to sit down with a pen and calender to get it right!

9. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

Thanks everone! I will go take them out of the turner now. SO EXCITING!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The easiest way I do it is if I set on a Friday, they're due on Friday three weeks from the set date, regardless of what time I set them. But they might hatch on Thursday, or Saturday (or Wednesday as I've had a couple, though don't know why). It's not an exact science, but it's close enough. I always set on Friday, stop turning either Tues/Wednesday the week they're due (I candle on Tuesday to see if any look close). The majority of them hatch on Friday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by