I need a quick answer please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnsmb, Mar 6, 2008.

1. johnsmb

johnsmb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    I just had my very first ever chick hatch!! Perfect timing - I have to leave for work in 15 minutes!!! The humidity shot up to 75% - do I leave the red vent plug out or in? Is 75 too high? I won't be back for 5 hours. If I leave the plug out will the humidity drop too much in 5 hours? If I leave it in will the humidity be too high? Help!!

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    from what I have read on here the humidity should be 75-80% for hatching. I am no expert maybe Ms. Prissy is on here she will know!!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When that happens, I usually take out one plug then cover the hole about halfway, so a little moisture can get out. With babies hatching the humidity is unlikely to go down very much. But, I never have to leave during a hatch, either. I leave humidity at 65-70% for hatching.

4. johnsmb

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    Thanks so much!! I think I will cover the hole part way and hope for the best. This is only day 20, so it seems early for a hatch [​IMG] I have 3 more that are pipped, but I don't think they will hatch before 5 hours - but who knows? This is too fun!!

My poor kids missed it, though. When they left for the school bus there was just a tiny hole, but they got to see the beak poke out once. I hope no more hatch until after school and work! Thanks for the quick answer!!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Let us know what happened when you get home-good luck!

6. johnsmb

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    Oh no! Another one is starting!! I have to go - well, I had to go 5 minutes ago!! [​IMG]

Wait.... maybe I have a fever. Oh, and a cough, too. cough cough [​IMG]

Ok, I gotta go.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh I think you have a fever....... [​IMG]

8. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Achoo! [​IMG]

Good luck with the chickies!

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    You look a little pale to me. I think you should stay home.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  10. johnsmb

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    We have 3 babies!!!! My kids will be so excited to see them, but so disappointed that they missed the action! There is another egg with a very small pip and not much happening from the others yet - but it's only day 20...

Now, I am supposed to keep the little guys in there until the whole hatch is done, right? They sure are knocking the other eggs around...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by