1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I need a quick answer please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnsmb, Mar 6, 2008.

1. johnsmb

johnsmb In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    I just had my very first ever chick hatch!! Perfect timing - I have to leave for work in 15 minutes!!! The humidity shot up to 75% - do I leave the red vent plug out or in? Is 75 too high? I won't be back for 5 hours. If I leave the plug out will the humidity drop too much in 5 hours? If I leave it in will the humidity be too high? Help!!

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Songster

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    from what I have read on here the humidity should be 75-80% for hatching. I am no expert maybe Ms. Prissy is on here she will know!!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

When that happens, I usually take out one plug then cover the hole about halfway, so a little moisture can get out. With babies hatching the humidity is unlikely to go down very much. But, I never have to leave during a hatch, either. I leave humidity at 65-70% for hatching.

4. johnsmb

johnsmb In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    Thanks so much!! I think I will cover the hole part way and hope for the best. This is only day 20, so it seems early for a hatch [​IMG] I have 3 more that are pipped, but I don't think they will hatch before 5 hours - but who knows? This is too fun!!

My poor kids missed it, though. When they left for the school bus there was just a tiny hole, but they got to see the beak poke out once. I hope no more hatch until after school and work! Thanks for the quick answer!!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Let us know what happened when you get home-good luck!

6. johnsmb

johnsmb In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    Oh no! Another one is starting!! I have to go - well, I had to go 5 minutes ago!! [​IMG]

Wait.... maybe I have a fever. Oh, and a cough, too. cough cough [​IMG]

Ok, I gotta go.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh I think you have a fever....... [​IMG]

8. cozycritters

cozycritters Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Achoo! [​IMG]

Good luck with the chickies!

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    You look a little pale to me. I think you should stay home.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  10. johnsmb

johnsmb In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cathlamet, WA
    We have 3 babies!!!! My kids will be so excited to see them, but so disappointed that they missed the action! There is another egg with a very small pip and not much happening from the others yet - but it's only day 20...

Now, I am supposed to keep the little guys in there until the whole hatch is done, right? They sure are knocking the other eggs around...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: