1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I need advice! (AGAIN)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Feb 2, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Songster

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have some chicks, 13 in total coming feb 6th and another group of 9 coming on the 24th of feb! There will be almost 3 weeks age difference. What do i do, can they all go into the same brooder. or do they need to be seperated if so for how long? Thanks
    OH and also they are all standard breed if that makes a difference?

2. william9792

william9792 Songster

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    you can put them together if you want just watch and see how they act, i just put 43 chicks in with 4 three week olds and had no problems, so i would say yes

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The bigger chicks will probably pick on the smaller ones. I would use 2 brooders. Later, when they are all of similar size you could combine them.

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree, you shouldn't have a problem. I would just watch them closely the first day or two.

5. jforsness

jforsness Songster

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    They will need to be brooded seperately. Plan on moving the 3 week old B's to another holding aparatus to make room for the new chicks. Good luck and have fun! [​IMG]

6. birdlover

birdlover Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've put chicks that were 2 weeks apart together but not 3. I think you could do it if, like the others said, be on your guard and watch closely the first two or three days. If they are crowded that could cause problems in any case so be sure there's plenty of room.

7. stormylady

stormylady Songster

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    thanks everyone for the advice, think I will do the safest thing and separate them but where they can see each other. Thanks again

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm 10 Years

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would give it a try and if the older ones pick on the younger ones then separate them.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've done that before and had various responses. I agree with most of the folks in here about putting them all together to see how they reacted, and if they pick, then you will have to separate them.

Then you can rejoin the flock again later date when the youngest are three weeks old.

Good luck! [​IMG]

10. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I put 4wk old chicks in with day-olds, and had no problems at all. I think it all depends on the chicks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: