I need advice: broody hen troubles!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Hello everyone! A little while ago, 2 of my silkies went broody on potentially fertile eggs. Unfortunately, I did not keep track of the date the they first went broody. They each have about 9 eggs. Yesterday, one of the eggs hatched. I thought about candling the eggs tonight to get a better grasp on when/if they shall be hatching. But, I don’t know if they are in lockdown and I don’t want to damage the chances of the eggs hatching. I have absolutely no clue when the hens first went broody, but I know that it’s been at least 2 weeks. I really need advice y’all! What would be the best thing to do?

I had a similar situation this summer with 2 broodies.
I did not realize that i had staggered batch until chicks started hatching one every day or two.
What i did was after the second day i knew that the first chick needed food and water so i moved one broody and 2 chicks(after dark) to a broody hutch and left all the remaing unhatched eggs with the other broody.
Each day a chick hatched, i moved the chick after dark and placed him under the broody in the hutch.
After a week hutch broody had 6 chicks.
then a third hen went broody.
I then moved 2nd broody to a different hutch with 2 chicks and finished out the eggs with broody #3.
end result...broody one 6 chicks...broody two 7 chicks...broody 3, 2 eggs did not hatch and broke her afterwords.j
This is the first time i have done something like this. Usually i separate my broodies and eggs so stagered hatch does not happen.
It turned out well with the luck of the third broody. If i can get a picture today i will post it.
20190818_120500.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar situation this summer with 2 broodies.
I did not realize that i had staggered batch until chicks started hatching one every day or two.
What i did was after the second day i knew that the first chick needed food and water so i moved one broody and 2 chicks(after dark) to a broody hutch and left all the remaing unhatched eggs with the other broody.
Each day a chick hatched, i moved the chick after dark and placed him under the broody in the hutch.
After a week hutch broody had 6 chicks.
then a third hen went broody.
I then moved 2nd broody to a different hutch with 2 chicks and finished out the eggs with broody #3.
end result...broody one 6 chicks...broody two 7 chicks...broody 3, 2 eggs did not hatch and broke her afterwords.
This is the first time i have done something like this. Usually i separate my broodies and eggs so stagered hatch does not happen.
It turned out well with the luck of the third broody. If i can get a picture today i will post it.
Thank you! I might try this!

Got an ok picture today (see above). These hens are very camera shy and would not let me get to close.
Both of these hens are bantams. The chicks are doing great even with the size and difference in age by up to a week in each clutch.
How is your first chicks doing?
They are doing good! We now have 3 hatched. I’m excited to see what the next week brings.

Back
Top Bottom