I need advice on building a coop!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tweinzerl, Apr 3, 2012.

1. tweinzerl

tweinzerl New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    Hello, I bought 6 chicks yesterday. I need to build a chicken coop and enclose and area for them to run outside. My issue is, I have fairly small backyard and most of it is landscaped. I also have 3 dogs! I have planned on building a chicken tractor so that they could roam in the front yard as well. I can't seem to find any consistent info on how big this coop should be! I have seen many cool ideas and defiantly want to build one with removable sides so I can clean it easier. Can someone please tell me how many nesting boxes I need and how big the inside should be and where to put the perch? It seems no one can decide! Thanks in advance!

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I have read that new-hatched chicks don't really know the difference between food and the chips and can fill up on the chips and actually not get enough real food to eat. When mine were 3 days old I put shavings down but decided to remove them until about week 3 due to the same problem.

I just put down paper towel in the brood box so that they can get their footing. (No newspapers except underneith till they're older...it can cause splayed legs as the newspapers are slippery.) The paper towel is working great and if I want to put a little food on the towels it is very clear that it's food to them.

So...my 2 cents worth is to use the paper towel for a couple weeks until they're well established. You can just keep putting a new layer of paper towel on top a couple times a day as it becomes soiled.

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Whoops! Posted the above to the wrong topic! Sorry

4. peterslovo

peterslovo New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    southern Maine
    Welcome!

I'm new as well, but offer this advice:

1) generally, plan on 4 SF per bird inside the coop.
    2) with a run, add about 8-10 SF per bird, if possible.

So with 6 birds, you're looking at around 24 SF for the coop, and around 48-60 SF of run space.

For nest boxes, the general rule of thumb is 1 box per 3-4 birds. I put 2 in for my four birds just for the heck of it, so you'd be looking at 2 boxes.

Be sure to build a coop with the nest boxes BELOW the roosts, or they'll roost in the nest boxes.

Here's a link to my build (it's a variation of a freely accessible Purina Mills design, just google Purina Mills coop):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645778/hello-from-maine

It's heavy but it's moveable, with detachable run.

Oh, and check out the Coops page at the banner on BYC homepage to see all kinds of builds.

Good luck!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I have brooded chicks on shavings (not sawdust) without issues. Currently I am using pelleted pine horse bedding, smells nicer and much less dusty.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. :thumbsup

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by