I need advice on selecting a favorite(s) chicken ROP

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
Hi all!
Long time lurker, first time poster!
I'm completely loving all of my chickens. I have multiple different breeds, because I wasn't sure which I would like most. I would eventually like to breed and show chickens, but I'm having a very tough time deciding which route to take or which chickens to specialize in.
Here are the breeds I currently have: Ameracuanas, silver double laced barnevelders, german bielefelders, coachins, cream legbars, crevecours, gold deathlayers, isbars, lavender wyandotte, light susses, black copper marans, orloffs, pita pintas, schdjndelaars, shetland hends and orpingtons.
My favorite in terms of looks is probably my gold deathlayers, but they are not an APA bird. There are still a lot of breeds I'm interested in that I haven't been able to get a hold of yet.
Are there certain breeds that are in higher demand for showing? Or command a higher price? Three are so may varieties, that I just don't know where to start. Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone!

I’m not very knowledgeable on this topic but I do know that Ameraucanas are a good breed to have, excellent egg production and a popular breed for mixes but where I live only a few people have pure Ameraucanas so none of them are shown that often.
I tried showing my silkies this year but the fair closed the bird exhibits due to Avian Flu, I think the ones with more patterns or fancy feathers are best for show… but that’s in Alaska where it takes a lot more effort to keep fancy show breeds alive such as silkies and turkens

You have a lot of neat breeds that are rare and under appreciated! It really depends on your goals! Are you wanting to mainly sell chicks? Or are you wanting to show birds? Or are you wanting to improve or maintain the genetics of a rare breed?

I think lavender colors are always popular if you are looking to breed something you plan to sell or specialize in…but it’s also one of the harder solid colors to get right. Plus feather quality can be difficult. I agree with the other poster that true Ameraucanas are a great choice—rare to find true Ams, they have great colors, great personalities and lay a colored egg that is just so pretty! You can ask higher prices for true Ameraucanas, plus you can sell “eggers” too! BCMxAmeraucana crosses make really pretty Olive eggs! And everyone wants colored layers!

If you want to show, I’d stick with Orpingtons, Isbars, or Ameraucanas or BCMs…in a solid color. Patterns are realllly tough to perfect! I love the variety you have though! I bet they are gorgeous lawn decor! 😁

Back
Top Bottom