I Need Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Dewey101, May 20, 2008.

1. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    Ok, I want to Show some of my birds at the Kentucky state fair. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

i know i need to give them baths, clean there feet and stuff. But thats about it. can yall give me adive, tips and things so i can be prepared???
    My gf will be showing for her first time as well.
    I hope to get some feed back so Maybe, Just maybe might bring a prize home!!!

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Check the rules. More and more states require healh checks/flock registrations....

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Just make sure you bathe them a couple of days before the show. This way they will get their natural oil back in their feathers. Also, a little baby oil on their combs, wattles and legs makes them look a little better.

4. Dewey101

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    well mine dont really need the health registartion since it isnt one of the requirements.

But thanks for the advice 4h chicken mom.

But dang iam SO nervous and its 2 months away!!!

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Contact the County Agriculture office for their extension agent and speak to them about it, ask for information and pamphlets....you can also contact the fair committee. They should have information for you also.

Good luck!

6. Dewey101

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    well i have the regulations and paper work that i need to be filled out here because i requested it online.
    Iam tryin to get some helpful tips and pointers that can make me liable to some sort of success, but i dont really care if i do, i bet the experience will be awsome

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I cant really give you any tips on showing the bird unless you are doing showmanship. Some things about condition of the birds. We use vetRx on the comb,face,wattles,earlobes, beak, and feet. It gives the legs and beak that extra shine. It can make the face look way different, it keeps it a moist red. If you dont have vetrx use baby oil. Another thing we use fot the feathers is pink spray or hair sheen type stuff, we get it at walmart, it comes in clear bottles. When you put it on a black bird it is amazing. Another thing is to make sure their nails arent too long, if they are clip them and file them before the show. O, since it is still 2 months before the show start going through and looking for broken wing/tail/foot feathers and pull them out, it takes about 6-8 weeks for them to grow back in. Another thing for white birds is to keep them out of the sun and when you wash them use bluing, we get it at walmart in the laundry section, it is something like Mrs Stewarts blueing, when you use it only put about 3-4 drops in the bucks of water otherwise you will have a blue bird.

8. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    Quote:really? in texas, you have to have your birds tested before taking them to the show.

i know of a great link on the preparation but it's on another forum so i can post the link. it's against our rules here. sorry.

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by