I need advise on bumble foot.

We just finished the surgery on our Rhode Island Red rooster. We got a descent sized nugget out, but how do we know if we got it all?

So as my previous post said we did bumble foot surgery got a kernel out, but I am guessing we didn't get it all because his foot is still swollen and now it is warmer than the other leg. Should we go deeper and see if there is more or should I give it a few more days it's been 36 hours since the surgery.

I think you might want to open it up again, make sure ALL the yuckies are out, then smear antibiotic ointment in it. Before you do that, since I don't know very much about this, I think you should private message the OP of the bumblefoot surgery thread.

So as my previous post said we did bumble foot surgery got a kernel out, but I am guessing we didn't get it all because his foot is still swollen and now it is warmer than the other leg. Should we go deeper and see if there is more or should I give it a few more days it's been 36 hours since the surgery.
I would do some very warm epsom salt soaks to the foot twice a day. If you didn't get all of the solid pus out (and you really need to get deep enough, and squeeze from every direction sometimes,) I would open it again. It won't hurt to try it again to see if there is more in there. If it was a bad infection, sometimes penicillin is needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom