I have found out the hard way that I am very allergic to pine shavings. This is a shock to me because I have had pets that use pine shavings since I was a child. Now I am the proud mama of 2 1/2 week old chicks. My eyes begin to itch and swell within a few minutes of being near the brooder. I need to find a substrate material that will work now and into their adulthood. Can I use straw or hay? If so...which one is better? I have been informed that straw and hay are not the same thing. Do you have any advise?