I need an interesting agricultural topic

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have to make a simple research poster about an agricultural topic of my choice. I thought it would be simple to choose a topic, but I'm having a really difficult time with it!

I thought I had settled on using insects for pest control (lady bugs to eat aphids, fly predators for fly control, praying mantises, etc) but I'm not completely excited about that topic. Can you guys give me some ideas? It has to be a college level topic, but not too in depth. I'm trying to find twenty sources which is due tomorrow afternoon and figured I'd ask before I settled on the insect thing.

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
  3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome! Thanks for the websites!

It's pretty much the direction I've gone in. I've found quite a bit on planting certain things to attract natural enemies.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was going to recommend beneficial insects too! I plant certain plants just to attract the beneficials. I can not wait till there is a supply of the wasps that eat the japanese beetles,or something for the 4 lined plant bug. Milky spore and nematodes for the soil grubs.
    I planted marigolds in my veggie garden to deter stuff.

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    oh, I know! How about all the stuff to grow for feeding chickens - a grow your own feed, with ratios and all? Way off topic?

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I know you are into horses, and I think horse raising comes under agriculture, so maybe something like the live cover in thoroughbred breed versus the artificial insemination in other types of breeding.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh man, ya'll are making me want to do more than ONE poster!

I ended up just doing a bibliography list for beneficial insects, but I really like the chicken feed and horse breeding idea. I'm not sure if we'll have to do any other assignment with a topic, but I'm writing those down!

8. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    CCD Colony Collaps Disorder
    Our honeybees are still on the decline. We beekeepers think it is neonicotinoids in the pestaccides. They banned them in europe and their bees came back.

Secondly, you could do something on the advancing on Africanized (killer) bees in the US.

Or social insects-How do homeybees manage a colony of 300,000 bees to cooperate in a single propose?
    Bee caste system -young bees-manage the brood and stay home-mid life bees clean and maintain the hive--older bees near the end of their lifespan are the foragers clooecting pollen and nectar. Queen is the egg factory Drones supply sperm ONE TIME then die. The rest of the time they just eat and hang around the house...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by