I need baby chicken help!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beanie1997, Mar 25, 2016.

1. beanie1997

beanie1997 New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Hello, I am new to this page because I am looking for someone to answer my chicken questions. Tuesday I purchased baby chicks at my local family farm and home store. I got 8 total, 2 were bantams. One bantam died that night so I went back and they gave me another for free. She died a few hours later and the last one died the next night. I have 6 left which were doing fine but now one of them has a hurt leg and doesn't look good. She won't walk but she can just barley move her injured leg, she has it tucked under her body. I don't want to lose another chick but i don't know what to do for her. Right now I have her separated but still under the heat lamp. Any help at all is so greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances and that you have lost some of your babies :hugs Coukd you post a pic of your chick? Have you examined the leg for injury? Please do pop by the emergencies section and give as much detail as possible. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Fingers crossed for your chick :fl

3. beanie1997

beanie1997 New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Unfortinutly my chick didn't make it, I found her a couple hours after I noticed her injury. I'm not sure exactly what it was I just new she couldn't walk. I only hav 5 chicks left and I don't want anything to happen to them, is there anything I can or should be doing to protect them better?

4. 1629quackers

1629quackers New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    I'm a new backyard chick. We had three bantams die in a couple days. I've been told they r very difficult to raise.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm wondering is the chicks were ill before you bought them. Some loss is common in the early days but, when there is a leg problem it can sometimes herald Mareks disease.

You may want to put that in the search box so you can familiarize yourself with the symptoms.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry for your losses. Please try posting in the link Yorkshire coop gave you, hopefully, you find out what's going on.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by