I need brooder help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RitaK, Sep 15, 2013.

1. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Hi all! I'm a first time soon-to-be duckling mama. I've been learning tons from your posts and need some input. My ducklings should be here in a couple of weeks!

The waterer I bought is too big. (See picture of it on the toilet). Instead of buying another one, i thought i'd try to make one. I remember seeing a post where someone cut holes in a food storage container and put it on some grit. They did something clever so that the ducks couldn't knock it over, but I don't remember what it was. What do you think of my home made waterer?

Also, the temperature gets to 105 because the heat lamp is too close. Any one have a creative (and safe!) idea for me to get it higher?

Thank you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For the heat lamp, could you set a stable chair or small table over the brooder and attach the lamp to a chair or table leg? Glad you are testing everything out ahead of time. That really saved us when our ducklings arrived a month early.

3. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Thank you for the idea!

4. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Put some clean rocks or marbles in the waterer you already have. It'll work fine.
    Aprille

5. RitaK

RitaK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Good idea. Thanks Aprille!

I'm getting nervous for their arrival!! I hope I know what I'm doing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by