1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need duckling advice...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Samibrainey, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Samibrainey

Samibrainey Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Indiana
    I have two ducklings, approximately 5 weeks old. I really would like to put them outside in a play pin during the day but it's raining, and only about 57°. It's not a downpour but a consistent drizzle, no thunder, not too windy. I have a small pin, a little wading pool, and I figured on providing a little "house" of sorts for them to go into. I'd planed on laying some chicken wire over the top for protection but now I'm considering clear plastic, to also cover then from the rain. My questions: is this a bad idea? What are key rules of thumb pertaining to weather? How worried should I be for them in general? Thanks!

2. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    I appreciate your concern. Ducks are amazingly hardy. Since their feathers do not absorb water, they are effectively waterproof; rain simply beads up and rolls off them. And a temp of 57 degrees is quite temperate. In the snowy winters where I live, my ducks have withstood frigid temps of as low as 12 degrees F. My ducks have stood outside in the rain many times.
    Have faith, pilgrim! Good luck.
    Gil

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by