I need emergency HELP!!!!

Aunt BB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I had a hen that was sitting on 21 eggs. Approx 1 1/2-2 wks ago when feeding I found her dead in the nest. You could tell by eyes and comb she starved/dehydrated herself. My emergency is I took the eggs in and put them in the incubator, I candled the eggs and all but 3 are living, but i don't know how long she sat on them and when they need to come off the turner??????? Is there any way to tell when day 18 is or am I chancing this the whole way????? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

redsoxs

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
North Central Kansas
Greetings from Kansas, Aunt BB, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! No idea as I am a novice egg hatcher...post in the following link for more precise advice. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
welcome-byc.gif
Some broodies are so dedicated they won't leave the nest to eat, drink or potty. They have to be physically removed in order to do those things. I would think those were too many eggs for her to cover as well. She wouldn't be the first broody to starve to death.

Aunt BB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Thank you all for your help I am pleased that their is a place that provides info from others that have been through the issues already with chickens. Just wish I was able to be able to make this my employment line
thumbsup.gif

DDNONIN2016

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
SW Ohio
Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Sorry to hear you lost your hen :( I have to physically remove 11 broodies from the nests everyday to make them get a bite to eat and a drink. Shewwww

Best wishes on your hatch :)

Aunt BB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
This is my 3rd year with chickens and still learning, chickens are very dependent and independent at the same time it seems. I wish I had known she wasn't coming off the eggs during the day or I would've put a water & feed bowl in for her. She was one of my best. I just hope the eggs she was sitting on I can at least hatch for her with all the time she obviously put into them. 21 eggs w/ 19 noticeably alive. Keep our fingers and toes crossed. I hope within this week they should start to peep. I had 6 this morning in the process of piping and 10 others in so I'm really excited to get home today to see how many new comers I have. A total of 37 eggs hope to have a hatch of 33-34

Aunt BB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Hey how are you this evening. Was wondering if you would be able to look at the photos I uploaded of my newly hatched chicks. I have the one that has been laying on his side all evening, not sure what time he hatched out piping did start lastnite, he has scooted but not stood up. They're still a lil to damp to take out yet to be able to really look at him. Any ideas or suggestions????

Top Bottom