I need encouragement

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
So I've been quilting and sewing for quite a while now. Ive made a pet bed, 4 quilts and a purse. I found a pattern for a 50s era dress that I just HAD to have. The only problem is I've never made clothes. I also have only used a pattern twice in my entire life. The first time was in middle school home ec. I made pants...they ended up as capris because I did it wrong. I picked up this pattern took one look at it and I hit a wall. I'm afraid I'm gonna screw it up. I'm too scared to buy the fabric. Anyone have this happen? Any words of encouragement? I'm gonna force myself to the fabric store tomorrow and pray someone can help me read the dang thing.

Is muslin cheap? I'm not sure what that is. Ive only ever worked with cotton fabrics and interfacing. Maybe I'm taking a leap Im not ready for :oops:
I often find myself with a project I am scared to start yet excited about. I have found that once I make myself start the project I feel a bit better. Nothing to it but to do it. Lol If the fabric is expensive I suggest buying some on clearance maybe some precut that someone changed their mind on. That way it is cheaper. Let me know how it goes. I am excited for you! :thumbsup:highfive:

I often find myself with a project I am scared to start yet excited about. I have found that once I make myself start the project I feel a bit better. Nothing to it but to do it. Lol If the fabric is expensive I suggest buying some on clearance maybe some precut that someone changed their mind on. That way it is cheaper. Let me know how it goes. I am excited for you! :thumbsup:highfive:
I saw some on clearance for 3 bucks a yard that would be perfect but that was weeks ago. I was buying fabric for a quilt I was doing. I always buy too much and then I feel silly. If I buy too little its just annoying because now I have to go back. The process of buying fabric is more stressful than starting the project :oops:

I saw some on clearance for 3 bucks a yard that would be perfect but that was weeks ago. I was buying fabric for a quilt I was doing. I always buy too much and then I feel silly. If I buy too little its just annoying because now I have to go back. The process of buying fabric is more stressful than starting the project :oops:

The pattern tells you how much you need. The folks at the fabric store will help with that, for sure. And it shows you how to lay out the pattern on your fabric. Just pay attention to the width.

Is muslin cheap? I'm not sure what that is. Ive only ever worked with cotton fabrics and interfacing. Maybe I'm taking a leap Im not ready for :oops:

Muslin is a very cheap cotton fabric. I agree with trumpeting angel. It doesn't look too hard. I think you should give it a try! If you're worried, you could just do the top in muslin or any really cheap fabric to make sure you know how to do it and it fits right.

Muslin is a very cheap cotton fabric. I agree with trumpeting angel. It doesn't look too hard. I think you should give it a try! If you're worried, you could just do the top in muslin or any really cheap fabric to make sure you know how to do it and it fits right.
Ok good. I am scared but i think i might get over it once i buy or start. Im just worried ill make something that wont fit. Ill update when ive got something

Back
Top Bottom