I need Goat Help...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bbRedMom, May 12, 2008.

1. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I went to our local flea market Saturday to get chickens, and came home with a goat. His family's farm was in foreclosure, and they need him a home ASAP. He's so sweet and has huge sad eyes to go with his sad story, and I couldn't say no. Ok, I could, but I am weak.

Jack is a pygmy cross. He was raised as a pet with other goats and dogs. Unfortunatly, my dogs were not raised with goats, and my Border Collie wants to herd him and my puppy thinks he is a giant moving chew toy. The other three couldn't care less about the goat.

How to do teach the dgos, especailly the puppy, to leave the dog alone! The BC isn't so much of a problem-she just stalks him constantly. But I am afraid the puppy will hurt the goat or vica-versa.

Do I need to just find him a new home? I hate to pen him up and only let him out in the afternoon and night. He does want to be with the dogs, he'll follow them around and such. If we are home and tell the puppy no, she backs off for a minute. Please help, I really like him, but I want whats best for him.

2. TeaLady

TeaLady Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Issaquah
    I think if you keep him you will need to get at least one more goat. They are herd animals and will always be anxious if there aren't other goats around. I rented goats recently for brush clearing, and they never rent less than 2 at a time for that reason.

As to the dogs, you'll need to watch them carefully and train the dogs that the goats must always be treated nicely. Dogs & goats can get carried away when they are playing. Goats play by butting, which the dogs take as an attack. Dogs play by nipping, which the goats take as an attack. So things escalate pretty quickly. Injuries all around, and the goat usually is the big loser.

If your dogs have a nurturing side, they can be good friends with the goats. Otherwise you'll want to keep them separated when you aren't there to supervise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by