I need good answers about turkeys please. I'm VERY new to turkey

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Ok while looking through the search option about turkeys I have been reading that they are very sensitive to cold weather and they should be kept away from chickens if possible. It's not possible to keep my baby turkeys away from the chickens...in fact they will be sharing a home so my question is should I possibly find them a new home or CAN turkeys live with chickens and be ok? Will they get my chickens sick? Can they just eat the same chicken feed I give my girls? Ummm...lets see I know I had other questions......OH, how often do the hens lay eggs and WHEN do they start laying eggs? Are tom turkeys like roosters and will they fight? WHEW...sorry for all the questions but I hadn't planned on getting turkeys or I would have done my research on them. I got them free so I could not turn them down. NOW I want pigions! THANKS AMY!
big_smile.png

You poor worried dear.... hope I can offer a little reassurance.
hugs.gif

People raise chicks and poults together all the time. The RISK of disease to the turkeys is higher, but does not mean that they will actually get a disease.
I raised them together in the brooder. Just keep it EXTRA clean and dry! Most all germs need moisture to live and breed. Sprinkle some DE under their litter. Keep your hands washed. give them plenty of room. Fact is, even if you do everything perfectly, you can still have bad luck and lose them.
Be sure they are eating and drinking well. keep an eye on the poop.
start them on medicated game bird/turkey feed for all of them. Keep the turkeys on medicated feed for several weeks. Then if you must keep them together, use medicated flock raiser until at least 10 wks old. Mine are all on flock raiser, chickens, turkeys, and geese. I'm not sure I am doing everything right, but I have healthy big birds.
My toms and my RIR roos fight sometimes and chase each other. It's more comical than harmful.
good luck and just enjoy them!
frow.gif

I believe it's around 30 weeks that they start laying, and my turk lives in the coop with my chickens and loves it. Of course, I only have the one turkey. She is about 22/23 weeks old now and never harms the chickens. In fact, sometimes the girls like to do a showdown...but eventually turk decides "that's enough" and reminds 'em that she is bigger than them!!
big_smile.png

I have 4 Royal Palms and 2 Bourbon Reds in with my chickens. They all free range during the day, but sleep together at night. As for the eggs...my oldest was hatched last December and I still haven't seen an egg out of her. I think time of year is a big deal for them, so I'm expecting them all to wait until next spring.

Back
Top Bottom